RH Hypoglycemia

browneyes65
on 3/19/15 3:16 pm - IN

I'm 14 months out now and have never had dumping yet or hypoglycemia so I was just wondering when does it usually start? I would like to have some idea when it happens what I should do, I could be in the car driving so what can I take with me? any ideas I would appreciate.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/19/15 3:40 pm - OH

Those things can happen at any time after surgery, depending on what you eat. They may also never happen to you, since the majority of RNYers don't experience either one of them.

If you continue to avoid high sugar foods/drinks and focus on protein with a small amount of carbs and fat, you can probably avoid them both, even if you DO dump (only about 30% do) or if you DO develop RH.

There isn't anything you can do to "fix" dumping... You just have to ride it out.  As far as the blood sugar drop, eating something that has a combination of protein, carbs, and some fat is best. Cheese or milk are great options since they have all three, but they aren't particularly portable without refrigeration. A low carb protein bar is usually what I keep handy in case of emergency, but they have a limited shelf life, so don't expect a 6 month old protein bar to still be edible (especially Quest bars, which become hard as rocks in a short period of time).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/19/15 7:36 pm

"There isn't anything you can do to "fix" dumping... You just have to ride it out"

-And the ride ain't fun. It typically happens at the most embarrassing times too like birthday parties or in a restaurant. One must always be mindful.  

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

browneyes65
on 3/20/15 3:19 am - IN

Thanks , I appreciate it .

White Dove
on 3/20/15 1:30 am - Warren, OH

I carry some form of sugar or glucose tablets with me all of the time.  RH hit me once while driving and it very scary.  I think it happened a few other times and I just did not know what was happening.  I would pull off the road and find something to eat.  Now I make sure that I always have something in case it hits.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sherrie P.
on 3/21/15 11:23 am
RNY on 02/06/13

RH often developed around 18-24 months from what I have read. My came on at 19 months. It SUCKS - but honestly it helps keep me away from the sugar. 

Dumping, from what I understand is usually there from the beginning - only about a third of us do. Just pretend like you dump and stay the heck away from sugar.... no one needs it - so just say NO!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views