Starting new job right after RNY - Recovery Time

christinerocks
on 3/19/15 4:17 am, edited 3/19/15 4:18 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Yes the 4 weeks seems like a long time based on your experiences described here.  Though I am concerned about starting a new job without being fully rested, my medical team is most concerned with the risks imposed by flying and have advised me to stay on the ground for 4 weeks.  I'm a little older than some candidates at 53, and I have a history of stroke (a TIA in 2012) so perhaps this is driving come extra conservatism. 

I have suggested (to potential employer) that I start with some preliminary work (from home) so I can hit the ground running when I do arrive on site.  I will see if they go for that option but under the cir****tances - this is a really big formal company and a big formal client - it may not be possible.  But I will see how it goes.  

Thanks for the continuing advice - it's very helpful! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

CGCL
on 3/19/15 4:35 am
RNY on 02/19/15

I would definitely need the four weeks if not longer, but I ended up back in the hospital for a week due to an abscess and bad infection. Today I'm at four weeks and could do an office job if I had one, though I'd be tired. If I had to fly today my biggest problem would be carrying a bag and long walks in the airport. 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

christinerocks
on 3/19/15 4:55 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I'm so sorry you had these complications but it sounds like you've turned the corner.  That's good news.  I hope you continue to feel better every day.  

yes I'm definitely planning for the best case scenario aren't I? I wasn't thinking about complications that could arise. If I was already working for this company it would be easier to manage this. I was so panicked after losing my job that I started searching for one right away.  I wasn't thinking what would happen if I found one quickly!  Anyway, this is all good input for me to consider.  

Navychic
on 3/19/15 10:11 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I missed the part first time around about the travel that it sounds like your job entails.  If your Doctor thinks you shouldn't fly, then I would stick with their opinion.  It would trump ours...

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

christinerocks
on 3/19/15 10:34 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Well, you guys have lived this process. I value your experiences and input just as much. 

Laura in Texas
on 3/19/15 10:27 am

I have been on these boards for almost 8 years. 2 weeks seems to be the norm. I went back to work after 2 weeks and did just fine.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 3/19/15 12:18 pm - Warren, OH

I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to work on Monday.  It is an easy surgery and I could have gone back by Thursday if I wanted to.  Don't jeopardize your job opportunity by not being available.  I was able to drive, work all day, sip my protein shakes and still take care of the house, groceries, laundry and food in the evening. 

I was worried because I felt so good and kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I just kept feeling better every day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

christinerocks
on 3/19/15 8:12 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and insights.  As the job offer really wants me to start on day my surgery is scheduled so asking for any extra time is a risk.  I'm grateful I have your insights to consider as I negotiate.  

Wish me luck with the negotiations and, more importantly, with insurance approvals! April is shaping up to be a huge month for me! 

Christine

aesposito
on 3/19/15 11:10 pm

At the time of my surgery, I had a job that was half desk, half teaching.  I was back at the desk job in a week with no real issue. 

But I tried teaching, and nearly fell over mid-class... so I had to put that off a few more weeks.

The key for me was getting off the Vicodin quickly (started tapering off four days after surgery)... couldn't drive to work on it.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

christinerocks
on 3/20/15 1:28 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

It's the teaching/facilitating that I'm worried about.  I used to teach at a university and the 3 hour classes are tough. 

It is very hard to predict how I will feel post surgery, but I know that my first 3 days on any assignment I will be teaching and facilitating workshops for 8 to 9 hours continuously - without more than a 30 minute break for a working lunch.  I won't be up for that in 1 week Post surgery, as it's tough to do now!  Two weeks would be the minimum, based on everyone's input, research I've done, others (in my local support group), and my own pre-op experience/tolerance.  But oh, it will be great to have more stamina for this sort of work going forward! And the stamina for so much more in life! 

Well, it's really up to the hiring company to tell me if they can accept any delay at all.  I've done my best, gave some great interviews, and so on.  No matter what happens, I will have the surgery once it's approved by insurance.  

Thanks! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 458 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 375 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 214 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics