so discouraged

Chavon1
on 3/18/15 1:22 am - Pensacola, FL

Monday I reached my 6 weeks. I have not lost any weight in about a week. I have heard of a 3 week stall but not a stall at 6 weeks. I am getting in 64 oz of water and all my protein in daily and I'm also working out on my exercise bike I bought! I don't know what's going on or what to do. Has anyone else dealt with this? 

breck_fish13
on 3/18/15 2:08 am
RNY on 11/04/14

I am 4 month out and I have had a lot of stalls. I walk 2 miles a day. It seems like nothing is happening but it is. Your clothes will get loose. That is how I know. The scale does not help me at all. Give it time.

rocky513
on 3/18/15 2:10 am - WI

You are only 6 weeks out.  A stall is when you don't lose any weight for a month.  Are you saying that you haven't lost any weight for a month?  Weight doesn't come off in a straight line.  It's more like a stair step.  You will lose a pound or two, then stay the same weight for a week or two, then start losing again.  Keep following your program and the weight will come off.  Stay off the scale if the fluctuations bother you.  PATIENCE!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

NYMom222
on 3/18/15 2:51 am
RNY on 07/23/14

People get stalls at all different times. The term " 3 week stall" is just kind of an average. Mine started one week after surgery and lasted 3 1/2 weeks. I then had another 2 week one at the beginning of the third month (I think). When you are less than 6 months out I would consider 2 weeks a stall. And yes weight loss is more like a step ladder for most people.... not a straight line. Can't let it get to your head, this is a marathon, ie. the rest of your life... not a sprint as in a diet. I know it is frustrating every week I don't lose, but I need to get over it and keep doing the right thing. I am a weigh myself every day person, and I am OK with that... but there will be fluctuations when you do that. Again, not a straight line.  Just keep doing what you are supposed to do, there is no magic to it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

iloveravens
on 3/18/15 3:31 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Stick to your plan.  Stalls happen at all different times, your body is trying to keep up with all of the changes.  I had only one stall around 5-6 months but the weight loss picked up again.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

StacyJo44
on 3/18/15 9:16 am - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

I'm just over 10 weeks post op and my pattern is VERY step like. Lose a few, sit for a week or so, lose a few, sit for a week or so. But the weight IS coming off and when the scale doesn't tell me that, the tape measure does! Two things to keep in mind. First, as the body adjusts to the restricted calories and the change of foods you're giving it for energy/fuel, it's instinct is to SLOW metabolism because it thinks it needs to preserve stored fuel. But exercise forces it to burn fat for fuel even when there is calorie restriction. Eventually, the brain and body will adjust and accept that this is not a temporary change and become more efficient at fat burning and maintaining a stable metabolic rate. So, if you are following your plan and making healthy choices and remembering to make protein your priority, eventually there will be fewer days between the "lose/sit still" on the scale. Secondly, the reason it's recommended that we take our measurements as well as weighing ourselves is because the body uses glycogen for short term energy. It's stored in muscles and needs water to stay soluble (approx 4lbs of water for 1lb of glycogen) As the body starts burning fat for energy it also knows that fat can't be burned easily for short bursts of energy so it will convert some of that fat to glycogen to replace lost stores in the muscle and in doing so, it will also retain tha****er. The typical stores are about 2lbs of glycogen and 8lbs of water. However, keep in mind that the CONTENT of fat/adipose tissue and soluble glycogen stores is very DIFFERENT and that's why you may not see any change on the scale, but you WILL see smaller numbers with the tape measure and in your clothes. Then, as you burn the stores, BAM~ 8-10 lbs lose in a few days, then the stores rebuild and you might sit still on the scale again till you hit another BAM! LOL...It's a normal process, the best way to limit the sitting still time is to limit carbs and get in that exercise. If you've ever heard the term "getting your second wind" when you exercise this is what they're talking about. When your body burns through the stores and you feel fatigued and breathless and think you can't go any longer so you're ready to get off the treadmill, if you stick with it for just a few minutes longer, you get your second wind because your body flips a switch to start burning fat for energy. If you're continually exercising and burning up the stores, the ministalls on the scale will be fewer and farther between, but if you aren't able to get in as much exercise or less intense amounts, you may see more of the step down weight loss pattern, DON'T get discouraged! Start taking your measurements, use the health tracker if you want to see the best areas to measure, and you will see that you are getting smaller! I PROMISE!!! Good luck and stay positive!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics