Surgery is in 2 days...

ashmommy
on 3/18/15 12:01 am

I have been reading everyones posts for several months.  I never thought I would actually be posting myself.  I am scheduled for RNY this Friday, and I am extremely nervous.  I have a few questions, but I know when I get to my final preop appointment tomorrow I will forget everything!  Here are my questions:

1.  I have a 20 month old (weighs 22 lbs).  How long before I can pick her up?

2.  How long will it be before I can drive again?

3.  How long does the procedure typically take?

4.  I have seen the list of what to pack for the hospital, but is there anything else that you really wish you would have had there with you?

5.  How long before I can travel (in a car)?

6.  Any last minute words of advice?

Maria27
on 3/18/15 1:50 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Here is what I remember, but make sure you double check with your surgeon's office. 1. Probably 6 to 8 weeks. 2. Usually 48 hours after your last dose of pain medication. 3. I was told 2-3 hours, but my husband told me it went fast. If you have had previous abdominal surgeries, it will probably take longer. 4. No, I've only used my phone, charger, chapstick,  brush,  and hair tie. I also might use ear plugs tonight. 5. When you get discharged from the hospital I would think. 6. Take it easy after surgery. It will probably take a bit before you feel well. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

ashmommy
on 3/18/15 3:07 am

Thanks!

heather1963
on 3/18/15 2:47 am

I just had my surgeon preop about a half an hour ago. No lifting over ten pounds for 4 weeks or so. No driving for a few weeks. You will be tired for about a month.

That is all I remember from your questions : ). Also, I don't have a babies anymore, but I will bet that you will be extra tired!

ashmommy
on 3/18/15 3:07 am

Thanks for your help!

Doingrightin2015
on 3/18/15 6:59 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I am 8 days post op today.

I was told nothing over 20 lbs for first 2 weeks. That's lift push pull or tug.

I was told I could drive after 48 hours as long as I was not taking narcotic pain medication and was not in pain.

Where I had mine done. They schedule 2 hours apart...some take more some take less. I was told 2 hours in surgery and 2 hours in recover. I was in recovery longer just because my room was not ready.

I traveled in the car. My trip there was about an hour. I was made to stop every 30 minutes and get out and walk a little bit.

Last minute words. You will have pain but it is worth it. The pain soon turns to just being sore. I was so tired and wanted to sleep a lot for the first several days....they say this is normal and we need the rest for healing. I get tired very easy and they told me that was normal when I went for my 1 week follow up today. They also said I should start seeing energy increase this week.

Wishing you the best. Oh, I found  I didn't need much while I was there. Your phone and charger basically was all I needed. they supply you a pan with personal products and I wore home the clothes I wore there...minus my bra...hehe! I didn't even us my house coat or shoes when I walked. they tied my gown well in the back and I had their slipper socks on.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

ashmommy
on 3/18/15 8:15 am

Thank u for your help!  Good luck with your recovery!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics