How does pre-op weight loss affect post-op weight loss?

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/15 1:58 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm confused...who said anything about regain? I was just curious if my weight loss will be slower right after surgery since I've lost some weight pre-surgery.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/21/15 2:43 am
RNY on 12/31/13

OH has been having some technical issues where responses to one post is ending up on another one.  I think this response might be a case of this?  I think this response was intended for another post.  

I could be wrong, but it's happened a couple of times the past 24 hours.  

I hope this helps.  

To answer your original question:  I have noticed that (this is just my personal observation) that people who lose a significant amount of weight before surgery tend to lose less radical amounts in the few weeks post surgery.  IMHO, that is because they have already lost the glycogen/water weight typical in the beginning.  However, I have also noticed that more of these people tend to reach their goal -- and I would assume that is because they have already begun implementing the positive changes necessary to be successful.  

I would encourage you to look at this as a marathon -- not as a sprint.  Frankly, it doesn't matter how fast you lose it but more how much you lose and maintain.  By already losing a significant amount going into surgery, you've already improved your health for surgery, benefitted by making sustainable and positive eating habits and shown yourself that you are committed to those changes.  You are already closer to goal!  

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.  You seem to have a great direction going so far!  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/15 3:12 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Ah, that would make sense!

Thanks for the advice. I was trying to look at it as a marathon, not a sprint to the finish, and maintenance is definitely my goal. But then I saw a post where someone complained about losing slowly after surgery, and someone else jumped down their throat saying that the first year is a gift where you should try to lose as much as possible.  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/21/15 3:18 am
RNY on 12/31/13

It is true that the first year is golden.  It will never be that easy again -- but, that advice is usually in response to someone wasting their honeymoon period.  Not someone like you who is following plan and doing their best.  I definitely subscribe to using that 1st year to get as much off as possible -- and from the sound of it, you will be one of those people.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/15 3:32 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for that.    And you're right, that was someone who admitted to not eating like he should fairly shortly after surgery. My goal is to follow my plan and get healthy, regardless of what the scale says. I've already dropped 2 of my diabetes meds and cut my BP med dosage in half!

iloveravens
on 3/23/15 12:05 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I lost nothing pre-op.  I then lost 75% of my extra weight in the first 6 months.  Still losing...Good luck to you!  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 458 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 375 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 214 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics