How does pre-op weight loss affect post-op weight loss?

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 1:01 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Does anyone know what I might be able to expect in terms of weight loss amount and pace post-op after losing steadily in the months preceding surgery? Since October, I've been losing about 2.5 lbs a week eating 2000-2300 net calories a day. It seems like that should speed up once I'm eating a lot fewer calories, but my doc said I'll probably have slower weight loss right after surgery than people who don't lose pre-op because I won't be starting from square one. Will my metabolism just slow way down to compensate for the severely reduced caloric intake?

White Dove
on 3/20/15 1:41 pm - Warren, OH

Most people have their biggest weight loss at the beginning of a diet.

You will probably not see any big increased rate of weight loss after surgery, because your body is smaller now and burning less calories.  The smaller you are the less you burn and less calories you need to maintain.

Exercise will help keep your metabolism going.  With RNY you will have malabsorption that will help a lot with getting your weight down during the first years after surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/15 2:01 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for the input! What's strange is every time I've lost weight, I start slow, then really hit my stride after losing about 50 lbs, then completely stop at around 80. I'm on track to lose 70-80 by the time of surgery, so hopefully that will be the help I need to get over the place where I always stop losing. I do feel though that I've been somehow cheating the system, like I shouldn't be able to lose so easily on 2000 calories a day, but I did have a metabolic study that showed my metabolism is 50% faster than average, so I guess I'll just try to use that to my advantage, hahaha.

Laura in Texas
on 3/20/15 10:05 pm

From my 8 years here, I have noticed that people who lose a lot pre-op do tend to lose slower in the beginning post-op. Try not to stress over it. Just follow your doctor's plan and you will still reach your goal. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/15 2:01 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks! I definitely won't stress after the fact, I was mainly more just curious.  =)

selhard
on 3/20/15 10:07 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My guess it depends on how high your BMI was to start, male or female, how much you exercise, heredity factors, and how well a rule-follower you are. For what it's worth: I lost 80# during the six-month insurance waiting period.  Then I lost 130# more within 13 months post-op.  The surgery, no doubt, will make metabolism irrelevant the first few months, anyway.  Friendly advice I was given was to focus more on establishing lifestyle changes, feeling healthier, and less on scale numbers.

Kathyjs
on 3/20/15 11:43 pm

I lost 35 in the 6 months pre op but the weight still fell off me post op, 

angie1973
on 3/21/15 12:03 am
RNY on 09/25/13

Lost 57 lbs pre surgery. I've lost 173 since surgery on 9-25-13. Average bout 9 lbs a month. I'm almost at goal and it has slowed a lot. But it will feel like it is falling off the first year or so. Good luck it will be best thing u ever did!

Angie1973 

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/15 1:58 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks you! I plan to use that first year as much to my advantage as possible.

Kathyjs
on 3/21/15 12:08 am

Sometimes what comes across as mean and unkind is simply vets 'like me' that can see someone will soon be on the regain board and not meaning to come across ad mean but trying to help you see you don't need a pat on the back and someone saying, honey , it's ok, I regained too, please don't feel bad ' you need to sometimes take advice from a long time vet who works the tool daily and it's NOT easy but it is doable.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics