Calcium Citrate Ideas please

breck_fish13
on 3/18/15 11:36 pm
RNY on 11/04/14

I had my 3 month Doctor visit last month and ask her if I should take more and she said no. I told her that I keep reading on here about 1500mg but she said no. I have my first blood work done in May so I think I will up my dose. Thank You

poet_kelly
on 3/19/15 3:46 am - OH

Your blood work won't show if you're getting enough calcium because if you aren't taking enough, you'll just leach it out of your bones to keep the level in your blood good.  You won't know until you get a bone density scan and see if you've had bone loss.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 3/19/15 3:47 am - OH

You might want to ask her why she thinks you only need 1000 mg when the ASMBS says 1500 to 2000 mg.  It's not just that people on OH say you need more.  The ASMBS says you need more.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/19/15 9:17 am - OH

Ditto what Kelly said.. I would politely ask her why she disagrees with the ASMBS recommendations. I would also "innocently" inquire about whether or not she will also have your PTH level tested.  THAT will tell you, in combination with your calcium and Vit D levels, whether your body is leeching calcium from your bones (but, sadly, MANY doctors don't know this!)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie_Kat
on 3/19/15 9:57 am
RNY on 06/10/13
On March 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

Ditto what Kelly said.. I would politely ask her why she disagrees with the ASMBS recommendations. I would also "innocently" inquire about whether or not she will also have your PTH level tested.  THAT will tell you, in combination with your calcium and Vit D levels, whether your body is leeching calcium from your bones (but, sadly, MANY doctors don't know this!)

Lora

Lora, I am waiting for lab results.        I did not know that about the PTH, calcium and Vitamin D, when I receive those results , may I post them or PM them to you. I do not know  what the levels would be if calcium is leeching from my bones.

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Katie_Kat
on 3/19/15 9:48 am
RNY on 06/10/13
On March 18, 2015 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

I second the suggestion for Upcal D powder.  It doesn't completely dissolve, so you have to restriction as you drink, but it s very inexpensive.

Unfortunately, ALL of the calcium citrate chews are expensive. I use pills for two doses, the Upcal D for one dose if I have a morning hot chocolate, and a chew for one dose (or two on the days I don't use the Upcal D).

Also, you indicated that you were only taking two of the 500mg chews, but that is only 1000mg and the recommendation of the ASMBS is a minimum of 1500mg per day.

Lora

Lora, I like Upcal also. I eat it plain, pretty good tasting I think. I do use pills also. The chews I can`t do as I would eat them like candy,

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Grim_Traveller
on 3/18/15 11:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

All of the chews are pricey. I use Celebrate chewable tablets in Orange. Very tasty. Shipping is free if you order $100, which will last you a while.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 3/18/15 12:46 pm - OH

Do you not want to use tablets?  I use generic calcium citrate tablets, wherever I find a good sale.  Kroger often has them buy one get one free, so I get two bottles for $10 or so.

If you don't want tablets, I suggest Upcal D.

The soft chews that are calcium citrate are all expensive.  The cheaper ones are calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/19/15 9:18 am - OH

The other option is calcium capsules (rather than tablets). The capsules are flexible, to some extent, and break down very quickly in any kind of liquid, so often those are tolerated better then the large calcium pills.  

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie_Kat
on 3/19/15 9:44 am
RNY on 06/10/13

I like UpCal Powder.

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 458 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?