Do they still use the silastic ring in RNY??

cabin111
on 3/20/15 3:03 pm

I had the option to have a silastic ring around my pouch.  I told the surgeon no.  I felt it was just one more thing that could go wrong...And I was a self pay back then...Over 8 years ago.  Just wondering if RNY surgeons are still using this or not.  Below is a copy and paste of what I am talking about.  Thanks, Brian

Additionally, a silastic ring is placed over the stomach pouch to prevent the gastric outlet from stretching over time. If used properly, the addition of a silastic ring may lead to greater weight loss than the gastric bypass alone.

Since the Gastric-Bypass is performed laparoscopically, using tiny incisions, there is minimal discomfort and downtime. General anesthesia is used. Incisions are additionally numbed using local anesthesia. The procedure takes about 75 minutes to perform. An endoscopy is performed intra-operatively to evaluate the new stomach pouch and perform a Leak Test. This safety method makes sure that the newly created stomach is well sealed.

Doingrightin2015
on 3/20/15 7:34 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

I have never heard of this and just had my surgery done and my Surgeon never talked of anything like this.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Han Shot First
on 3/20/15 8:48 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My surgeon never mentioned anything about this either

--

150 lost and maintaining!

White Dove
on 3/20/15 9:41 pm - Warren, OH

I think that is the Fobi pouch.   If I remember right, Dr. Fobi passed away.  I don't think the procedure is done anymore, but it was supposed to have great results with increased weight loss.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Triksy
on 3/21/15 1:38 am
RNY on 05/20/15

My surgeon does this procedure, he claims that it aids with results and helps to prevent long term regain. However I am still preop so I cant speak to its effectiveness just yet.

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

cabin111
on 3/21/15 1:51 am, edited 3/21/15 1:55 am

I don't think it is very common anymore.  You hate to have to go back and take it out if the thing has complications...Another laparoscopic surgery.  Below is a copy and paste I saw on the Fobi Pouch and the ring.  I think Dr. Fobi makes different cuts than the RNY.  I believe he has done his procedure for over 20 years and other doctors offer the procedure also...With the silastic band.  I do know many older RNY patients do have the ring/band in them and some have had complications.  Brian  PS  This is NOT the Lap Band operation.  Completely different thing...Apples and oranges.

The Fobi Limiting Proximal Gastric Pouch consists of a less than 30 cc pouch of the proximal stomach on the lesser curvature, a silastic ring around the stomach that functions as a stoma. The band is 5.5 - 6.5 cm long. A gastroenterostomy to a Roux-y limb of the jejunum completes the operation. A gastrostomy tube is placed to decompress the distal stomach perioperatively. The gastrostomy site has a silastic ring marker to facilitate percutaneous radiological evaluation of the distal stomach if the need arises.

poet_kelly
on 3/21/15 5:18 am - OH

It's my understanding that some docs do.  I wouldn't want it done, though.  Too much can go wrong with a foreign object in there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/21/15 6:14 am - OH

My understanding is that most doctors don't use it because there is no evidence that it makes much difference long term (and certainly not enough to justify the wide variety of complications that it can create, the most serious of which is damaging the pouch and or stoma). 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

losing_the_band
on 3/21/15 6:55 am
Revision on 08/27/15

After having the lap-band (twice!), I would be very, very hesitant to put another band around my stomach.  I'd worry that it could potentially have many of the same complications that the lap-band has.  I'd be constantly worried about getting sick and vomiting (like I do now with the lap-band), and causing problems with the band.

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

ktgrok
on 3/22/15 2:28 am, edited 3/22/15 2:28 am

For SOME patients, my surgeon does something similar, but instead of a silastic band uses bovine peridcardial material, similar to what is used to patch arteries and such. So less chance of problems. http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=news/11701/bovine-patch-used-band-gastric-bypass

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 377 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 376 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 215 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics