Fallen off the vitamin wagon

mommyX2
on 3/20/15 10:20 am

I had RNY a 8 years ago and I need to get back on vitamins and a good protein shake. Anyone have recommendations or can you point me to previous posts/posters for good info? 

Thanks in advance 

"There are some days I practice postive thinking, and other days I'm not positive I am thinking."
-John Endes

Doingrightin2015
on 3/20/15 10:45 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I am just getting started with my journey. However I do like the premier protein shakes. I have tried the chocolate and the Stawberries and Cream. 30 gms of protein and only 160 calories. very low almost 0 carbs

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

HFA70
on 3/20/15 10:55 am

At present l purchase my vitamins at Walmart,  but my next trip to Costco l will get them there. 

For protein, l go to Popeye's.  Vanilla Cake and chocolate peanut butter are my favourite and versatile for smoothies.  

White Dove
on 3/20/15 1:47 pm - Warren, OH

Why a protein shake?  Are you severely underweight or not able to eat dense protein?

Drinking calories is OK right after surgery when you are unable to eat, but after eight years you should have no problem eating your calories.  I quit all protein shakes when I had a regain at three years out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NHPOD9
on 3/20/15 1:56 pm

It is unclear to me what you are requesting. Do you want brand recommendations or "what to take" instructions?

if you have been off the "vitamin wagon" for awhile, my first suggestion would be to have a full set of labs drawn to see if you need additional supplementation to what the ASMBS recommends.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

mommyX2
on 3/20/15 2:44 pm

Thank you for the responses. I figured since I've been away from the forum and my vitamins for a while that there may be a new set of products or new info and this would be the place get pointed in the right direction. 

MickeyDee
on 3/20/15 5:13 pm

NHP is right;  get your labs first so you have your baseline, then do what you need to do to get your levels to their proper place.

You should be able to take any of the available OTC vitamins and supplements but be aware that you should take D3 (dry only, not oil-based) and a sublingual B12 or even better a sublingual B-complex (I've found a good variety at Trader Joe's which melts very quickly under the tongue).  

Also, use Calcium Citrate, not Calcium Carbonate, because Calcium Citrate is absorbed better.

Definitely talk to your PCP about your results and the steps you need to take in order to stay healthy.

HFA70
on 3/21/15 4:45 am

Have you had labs done by your doctor?  It maybe helpful to find out what you're lacking in and consult with him/her to determine amounts.

17 months out I am taking 2 multi, B12 complex liquid, iron, vitamin C, 3 calcuim, 2 vitamin D.

I do have a protein shake almost daily as I don't get protein in with food alone.  I had hair loss for 12 months, so I HAVE to get 80-100 grams of the protein.

tomlyoder
on 3/25/15 2:11 pm

I am taking vitamin d liquid gels? Is there something better? 

alaskasusan
on 3/25/15 4:09 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Not sure about the liquid gels, but I take a dry D (BioTech D3-50) for 50,000 IU per capsule. These can be absorbed sufficiently by RNY folks. I started per my doctor's direction at once daily, but am now at 2x per week. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics