Got my Surgery Date and a GIANT surprise!

Missmandy24
on 3/18/15 2:16 am

I could handle a program fee of 250 to 1000. Though I still think its steep for what they are trying to say it is for.

My other issue is the fact that they say they have been charging all their patients for it always, when I ask my friend and her friend who both had surgery this past summer neither paid it. So that's kinda wonky.

Also they lied about when I was approved. I called my insurance this morning for help. I was approved about 7 business days after my last appointment in mid February! The coordinator yesterday told me I had just been approved on Friday. (They must really think I am an idiot).

So I have a call into 6 different surgeons (2 individual practices and then 2 different group practices). Waiting for calls back from them to see if any will be willing to take me on as a patient and just submit asap.

My insurance said that I can resubmit right away with all the same information and my new doctor and that I should have no problem being approved. They also looked up nd gave me the preferred rating surgeons to call. They agreed that the program fee of $3000 was ridiculous.

So I want at least one surgeon to call me back and say they will take me, so that I can call back to my original doctors office and tell them they are crazy and that I am going to take my business elsewhere. And that I am not stupid and lying isn't the way to earn the trust of a patient.

iloveravens
on 3/18/15 3:29 am
RNY on 08/13/14

My surgeon's "program fee" was $100.  My hospital copay was $250 for the overnight stay.  That's all I paid out of pocket.  $3000 seems a bit excessive for a program fee.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Doingrightin2015
on 3/18/15 6:55 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I think any "program fee" sounds like a rip-off. Just another way of trying to take advantage of people so desperate to have this done. My Provider never asked me for anything other than my co-pay at each visit. My insurance paid the rest. The only other thing I paid for was my food I purchased from them for my 2 week pre-op diet. I just had my first post-op appointment and found out that all my visit for the next 3 months don't even require a co-pay because they are all part of my follow up visits after surgery.

I think the insurance company needs to be made aware of these crazy fees they are charging people. I would also give them the name of the people you know that used them and didn't pay this fee.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Missmandy24
on 3/18/15 7:16 am

Thank you I called my insurance multiple times this morning and finally got someone who cared enough to help. She told me she was lfabergasted at this and shocked and that it sounded like double dipping because my plan covers 100% of doctor fees and this sounds like those fees.

NYMom222
on 3/18/15 10:07 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had a program fee and it was $250. It covers nutritionist visits, and I assume the staff that runs the support groups. That seems a bit much. You have done all the work - testing -  and the insurance company doesn't really care who does it, as long as they are on their list... so I think you will work it out.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Han Shot First
on 3/18/15 10:18 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My surgeon charges no program fees, and any fees sound sketchy when they're already billing insurances.  At the very least it should be optional if you want to take advantages of their services.  I hope you can find another surgeon who doesn't do this.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

cspotrun
on 3/20/15 8:49 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Did any surgeon get back to you yet?

Karen   

Missmandy24
on 3/20/15 9:17 am

I saw my new surgeon today! The process is somewhat restarted. But I feel so much better the program is much more comprehensive. The program also is a lot bigger which allows for you to easily get appointments. Now I have to try to get my records transferred from 3 places. Complete an ultrasound and ekg and some new labs (because the last doctor didn't order a comete screening). Their psychiatrist will evaluate the notes from my previous psyc visits and I may need another psyc visit with her is she finds a need. I also have a complete preop diet and journaling today. High protien low calorie low sugar low carb. Eliminate all Caffine, carbonated beverages, and no aspirin or Ibprofen from now on. The aftercare program is also so much more comprehensive. 

cspotrun
on 3/20/15 9:35 am
RNY on 07/01/14

That's great news!  A little more hassle but for a place where you are much more comfortable.  And no fee I assume?  Happy for you!

Karen   

Missmandy24
on 3/20/15 9:44 am

No fee at all. Other than what my insurance doesn't cover like my copays. Totally manageable! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 376 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 214 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics