What's on your menu today, RNYers?

greatwitness
on 10/10/14 12:33 pm

Thanks NYmom,

I was previously sleeved before my RNY, so I assumed my surgeon's decision to release me to soft foods early was the reason why.  I have yet to start on my protein shakes, but I am very well aware that protein should be priority.  

My husband and I stocked up on same healthy items today, whi*****luded tuna, cottage cheese, refried beans, salsa, cheese, egg whites and a few soups. I will also continue my clear liquids.  I feel like these items will last forever, since I am only able to eat a couple of spoons here and there.  Anny, has been a big help and I look forward to gaining from those that have traveled this process before me. Hopefully I will be able to help others that follow me.  Thanks for your time and any information that you are willing to share. 

Dcgirl
on 10/10/14 4:54 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am not Anny either, but I was cleared to soft food after two weeks and I was doing a lot of protein shakes, sometimes part-skim ricotta cheese, a little tuna mixed with light mayo, and hard-boiled eggs mashed to a paste with a little light mayo.  I steered clear of carbs like grits and mashed potatoes since I was working on only having protein.  I sipped a lot of water, crystal light, and various protein shakes (Inspire chocolate, Syntrax matrix flavors, Syntrax nectar flavors, EAS brand pre-made boxed protein drinks).  If you can sip all day long, you will do well!  Don't get dehydrated - that will cause all sorts of problems.  I think you are way too early out to be worried if you can only have an ounce of soft foods at a time.  Focus on hydrating and getting in protein whenever possible and you should be good.  My RNY was the greatest thing ever, so I hope this goes very well for you!

AnnyBananny
on 10/10/14 5:27 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Hi! I AM Anny, but I'm no expert. I will tell you a little about my program and experience though. 

First, congratulations on revising to RNY. This has been the best decision I've ever made for myself and I'm thankful every day, even when I'm awake at midnight with painful constipation LOL.

My surgeon's program prescribed: Week 1 - clear liquids (2-4oz an hour), Week 2 - full liquids (4-6oz an hour), Week 3-4 - purees (about 1-2oz, 3 times a day), Week 5-8 soft foods (no more than 2oz at a time, 3 times a day), Week 9 and beyond - anything as tolerated working up to a 4oz max. In addition to this in week 2-8 I was drinking 3 protein shakes a day, after 8 weeks I went down to 2 shakes, then around 12 weeks dropped to 1 shake. It was only recently that I dropped that final shake and only use one occasionally. 

For me, early out my favorites were cottage cheese, greek yogurt, refried beans with some cheese melted on top, and ricotta cheese with some spices mixed in and tomato sauce on top. 

My only words of wisdom would be not to force it. If you portion out 2oz, eat half and are feeling full - don't sweat it. It's better to listen to your body's signals then force things.

Hopefully some of this is helpful, but my final word is - follow the plan set out by your surgeon. I've learned that there are vastly different approaches to post-op eating, but your particular surgeon knows best what YOU need. Good luck!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

greatwitness
on 10/10/14 11:27 am

Hi Anny,

Thanks for the most valuable information received since my procedure.  By the way, my name is Angela.  I am only one week and one day out.  I just completed my 1 week follow-up yesterday.  I lost 15 lbs in one week, which is still mind blowing.

I have not yet figured out my surgeon's method, but I trust him enough to follow his directions.  After leaving yesterday, I was released to soft foods, so I have only been able to consume a couple of spoons of potato soup, no lumps and mashed sweet potatoes.  I assume this was done because I was a past sleeve patient. My surgeon issued a booklet with the different stages and items, but not the amount that I should be expected to eat.  

I hope that we can stay in contact.  The information given has really helped me to see that I am eating the amount that should be consumed at this point.  I never experienced this with my sleeve.

This is definitely a journey that I look forward to each and everyday.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 244 views
Extended release medications
Maddymoe2 · 4 replies · 65 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 207 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 269 views