5 Day Pouch Test

Calif_Princess
on 3/17/14 12:19 am - Louisville, KY

Starting the 5 Day Pouch Test today.  I'm really skeptical that my pouch can be fixed by doing this diet for 5 days.  I can't find anyone who has actually done this diet so I haven't heard any feed back.  The book is really expensive (especially for such a small book)  but I'm desperate and if it actually works it will be worth every penny.  If any of you have done this diet, I'd love to hear from  you.  :)

Melissa

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

momjan
on 3/17/14 12:26 am - Canada

It works.  The author, Kaye Bailey, designed it to 'reset' your pouch by weaning you from wanting carbs while soothing your stomach and 'reteaching' it to work as it is supposed to.  Just stick to it; follow the advice and foods and you will be surprised.  It's not a diet in that you will not necessarily lose weight (but probably will); it just resets your pouch back to how it felt shortly after surgery.  THEN it's up to you.  Keep the sugars and white processed junk out of your body; no breads, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.  Some people have to restart this twice as it is harder for them to stay on the program the first time, so don't be discouraged from doing it again if necessary.  And if you 'fall off' in the middle pick yourself back up and keep going!  Never give up on this surgery!!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/17/14 11:01 am - OH

You cannot "reteach" your pouch to do anything because it doesn't DO anything in the first place!

People can also stop carbs cold turkey while still eating food and not having to endure the torture of a liquid diet (which, as you point out, many people find they cannot do).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mimisocks
on 3/17/14 12:35 am, edited 3/17/14 12:40 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

Melissa,

Sounds like another fad diet to me, but to each his own.

If you go back to your original post-op plan of protein forward, 64oz at minimum water and eliminate refined carbs (sugar, white flour products etc.) wouldn't the results be the same - getting back on track minus the cost?

The carb detox may take a few days to work out of your system but you can do this!

There is no need to purchase an expensive book if you don' t really have to.

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

poet_kelly
on 3/17/14 12:47 am - OH

Your pouch will not be fixed by a five day fad diet.  But your pouch probably doesn't need fixed.  Is there something wrong with your pouch?  If so, how does your surgeon recommend fixing it?

Probably what needs fixed is your eating habits.  A five day fad diet won't fix those, either.  What fixes them is going back to your post op meal plan, what you are supposed to be eating at this stage of your journey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Calif_Princess
on 3/17/14 12:51 am - Louisville, KY

Thank you guys for your responses and your encouragement!  I've already bought the book and went to the store yesterday to get all the stuff so that I can do this over the next 5 days.  I'm really interested to see it work.  I think it's going to be hard to get all tha****er down... LOL  And I'm already getting hungry.  I guess that's the carb craving...  :(

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/17/14 12:52 am - OH

All this will do is reinforce the old dieting, deprivation, regain mentality that kept us all obese for so long.  It doesn't do anything to your pouch.  All it does is keep your pouch empty when you are on all liquids and keep you away from carbs.  

If you go back to small measured meals and eat no non-protein carbs, you can accomplish the same thing, but it will reinforce the HEALTHY eating habits you need to stay on track for the rest of your life.

Most of the people who do the 5DPT end up doing it repeatedly...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LiViAnN_mommy
on 3/17/14 2:36 am - Citrus heights, CA

I have tried it. I couldn't get pass day 4.  I did feel a difference in the tightness and amount I was eating. I didn't lose any weight (granted I didn't fini**** but I doubt a day would have made a difference)  which I think is was frustrated me but it's a good mental reset more than anything. I understand you already bought everything but what has worked for me is limiting carbs, measuring everything and basically going back to the basics. And doing the dreaded workout..... Good luck. I know how hard it is when you start to see numbers on the scale that you told yourself you will never see again or having to buy bigger pants but if you go back to the beganing it will work. This could be a good starting point for you but it's not something you can keep doing. 

Gwen M.
on 3/17/14 3:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This sounds like yet another crash diet.  You probably know what you're supposed to eat, so I'd eat those things. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MyLady Heidi
on 3/17/14 5:07 am

Diets work.  People fail.  Just reality.  If you don't intend to keep going with this "diet" past day 6 through infinity it's not going to make a difference.

To get rid of carb cravings, give up bad carbs, cold turkey.  Everything that triggers you to eat too much or you know is unhealthy.  And stay off them.  Forever.  I guarantee that will work. 

The problem is we are creatures of habit and return to our roots, which means we like comfort food.  You have to keep the balance between the good and the bad always.  Mindful eating, every, single, day.....It isn't fun or glamorous and I am not even sure it becomes ingrained in us, it is easy to fall back, you have to keep yourself on a plan that will significantly reduce the amount of food you eat that is unworthy of your pouch.

Good Luck

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 196 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 46 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 397 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 314 views