starting my iron infusions tuesday

carebearsuzzan
on 2/16/14 2:12 am - CA

ok so I am  25 months out 12 lbs away from goal -200lbs:)  just got diagnosed with Orthostatic Hypertension  bp around 90/40 average .... my labs came back :( as follows

iron......20L

iron binding capacity...513 H

iron unbound...493

iron saturation...4

Ferritin....1

vit d....25

hemoglobin 5.9L  

hemoglobin alc 5.6

ok so im just wondering if my iron being low would that cause my heart rate to jump to 144-160 just sitting down ? and if so do you guys think ill feel better/ meaning the bp will stabilize after infusions start . Dr Crookes  said once a week for 3 months  ivs :( just wondering if anyone else done absorb there iron like me (i was taking 6 tender irons daily from vita lady )  but apparently im not storing it  any advice or story's appreciated   

poet_kelly
on 2/16/14 3:04 am - OH

If he thinks you'll need iron infusions once a week for a few months, then I doubt you'll feel a lot better after the first one.  It will probably take a few before your iron improves enough to feel better.

I also notice your vitamin D is very low - the Linus Pauling Institute says it needs to be at least 80.  Are you taking big doses of D3 now?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/16/14 10:25 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

If he thinks you'll need iron infusions once a week for a few months, then I doubt you'll feel a lot better after the first one.  It will probably take a few before your iron improves enough to feel better.

I also notice your vitamin D is very low - the Linus Pauling Institute says it needs to be at least 80.  Are you taking big doses of D3 now?

And please be sure you get DRY D, not wet. Don't let anyone talk you into the big dose of wet D2 to make the D3. Your post-RNY innards cannot process it effectively. 

Is your doctor not concerned with your very low numbers on the D? That would be of concern to me...if my doctor wasn't on top of the recommended minimums. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

carebearsuzzan
on 2/16/14 3:52 am - CA

no should i be? it dint say high or low  how often u think i should take it?

poet_kelly
on 2/16/14 4:06 am - OH

Well, I can't tell you what to take or how much. If my vitamin D was that low, I would be taking big doses of D3.  Actually, at one point mine was that low and I took 50,000 IU D3 once a day for about three months, then cut back to taking it three times a week, which is what I still take now.  When I had labs done six months ago, my D level was 104, which is exactly where I want it.

How are your other labs?  With such really  low iron and really low vitamin D, I'm wondering if you have other deficiencies?  Also, if your D has been that low for a while, it is really important you get your bone density scans done to check for bone loss.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jondakay
on 2/16/14 4:16 am

Wow! your Hemoglobin is 5.9?? That's really low; have you been bleeding a lot too??  Do you have a history of low hemoglobin? With your b/p being low and your heart rate being up, I bet you feel terrible. If you get to feeling worse, you should probably go to er.  Good luck with the infusions, I think this is going to take a little time for you to start feeling better. 

illinois Gama D.
on 2/16/14 8:32 am

Good luck on the infusion,I hope you feel better, everyone I know that has them feel so much better, let us know how you do!! I assume you are seeing a hematologist?

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Heather D.
on 2/16/14 12:11 pm

I'd be pretty worried about the hgb being that low! If you're getting dizzy, weak, or tired, that would explain it. Iron infusions will help but try to get iron rich foods in your diet!

carebearsuzzan
on 2/17/14 12:07 am - CA

All of the above I'm weak dizzy  and then some  . One more day and I hope at least the dizzy part  goes away 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views