Witty Comebacks...

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/13 10:58 pm

I have not told any of my family and only a few friends.But I will say that people will judge me even if I haven't told them.On my facebook I posted a picture of myself with my daughter and a few people were like okay what is your secret.I just ignored them.I really like what Kelly always tells people.If I needed surgery for my gallbladder I would have that done or other surgery to save my life.I love when I hear people say you took the easy way out.Yes I did I chose to be a science experiment every time I eat.I also think telling them you would rather not talk about it does stop some people.Best of luck to you.That is great that you lost weight and are taking care of yourself.

Sarah R.
on 12/26/13 1:30 am

Nothing witty, I also dont invite nor give a flying F*** what peoples opinion is. Ive honestly only gotten that comment once and I believe I told them Id take the "easy" way every damn time if it meant I was healthy and not dying anymore. Shut them the F*** up.

SteveWebb
on 12/26/13 6:14 am - NC

I have already heard a lot of crap from some of the people I work with and I haven't even had surgery yet.  Once I get skinny I will just stick my fifty year old tongue out at them and walk away.  

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

aseg21
on 12/26/13 11:12 am - Miami, FL

It's not witty.. or particularly a comeback but I usually give a very straightforward answer.

I congratulate them on their weight loss and then simply say, "I woudn't say that it's easy to throw up for several months straight, to eliminate sugar, bread and other foods nearly entirely from your diet, or to begin working out at over 300 lbs and continue for YEARS to get the weight off, but it's ok if you do. I still go to the gym 4-5 days a week to maintain the figure that I worked very very hard to get. So natural or not, I earned this from hard work, determination and dedication. I just had a little push to get back on the right track but I've stayed on it myself."

If it's a snide remark, I usually just shrug my shoulders and literally say, "Ah well.. guess you never had braces, botox, teeth whitening or laid in a tanning bed.. you know, cause you can do all that naturally too."

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

MacMadame
on 12/26/13 11:20 am - Northern, CA

It depends on how you feel about the person, what you want to comeback with. For really awful people, you can just be brutally honest. Like when they say "I did it the natural way", you can say "you mean you did it the dumb way" and if they ask what you mean, say "only 1% of people with 50 pounds or more to lose who don't get WLS are able to keep even 50% of the weight off 2-5 years out. 70% of WLS patients keep off 50% or more even 10 years out."

But if they are people you want to still be speaking to you, then you have to come up with something the equivalent of  the Southern "God bless you".

So I have used:

-I didn't have surgery to lose weight; I've lost weight many times before. I had surgery to keep it off. That is something I've never been able to do before.

-Good luck with that (with varying tones of voice depending on how disgusted I am and how clear I want that to be)

-It's not the easy way, it's the only way. The only way that works long term anyway.

-What's wrong with easy? You don't walk to work or wash your clothes on a rock by the river, do you?"

-Yep and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. (That one always throws them for a loop because how can you argue with that? LOL)

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Cunning_Pam
on 12/26/13 12:21 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

I've been pretty open in telling people about my surgery, and I'm fortunate that so far I haven't received anything but support. I'm sure that eventually I'll run across just such a jerk as you describe, who will make just such a comment. My style is a little different; if someone says something similar to me I will very earnestly look into their eyes, take their hand warmly between mine, and say "You are just SUCH a better person than I am!" and then not think anything more of them or their comment. The ones who are just looking for validation of their awesomeness will think they've received it, and the rest will get the message about what a stupid thing that was to say.

I've been called a smartass, once or twice.  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 228 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 120 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.