Cross-post - Post bowel surgery recovery advice

kellybelly333
on 11/12/13 8:20 pm - Toronto, Canada

To start off, I have a called my surgeon, but have not heard back yet.

I seemed to be on the mend since my surgery last week to do some adhesion repair and untangle omentum that wrapped itself around my colon.

Since then I have had one tiny BM. I am eating toast and crackers mostly, which is less than what I ate at the hospital. Two nights ago I started feeling nauseous and extremely tired. Since then I've been sleeping, eating toast, soup and crackers, and trying not to be sick. I feel pregnant lol....but much more tired (I could actually function pregnant).

Anyhow, it will be a week Thursday since my surgery, bowel is not back to normal and neither am I. Anyone else out there who has gone through this

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/12/13 8:48 pm

Hugs... I don't think toast is a great choice .... I would stick to liquids at this point...and use a lot of miralax.  Bread can get like glue - cement.  Make sure things are moving before you add  solids. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kellybelly333
on 11/12/13 9:03 pm - Toronto, Canada

toast isn't a great toast at all, but it seemed to be what I could nibble on.

With that said, I just finally went to the washroom, and I feel much MUCH better LOL

Interesting though. They had me on solid food at the hospital, only liquid for one meal, because I was passing gas. I think I should have been on liquid longer. Oh well, looks like it just took me longer than I thought to recover.

Thanks!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/13/13 12:56 am

Great.. if I were you - I would try to make sure things are moving before I would introduce more solids..  Been there,  done that - talking from experiance.. I end up with horrible pain due to constipation and gas.. Even though you may be "going" every day .. they may be  "back up" volume that needs to come out.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kellybelly333
on 11/13/13 1:31 am - Toronto, Canada

Good to know! Thanks!

PetHairMagnet
on 11/13/13 9:00 am
RNY on 05/13/13

No advice or ideas, but hugs and prayers for healing!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 370 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 315 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 407 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 212 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?