The stall

Brian C.
on 7/22/13 9:15 pm - Slingerlands, NY
RNY on 07/01/13

So I thought I would check in and  look for some advice.  I'm 3 weeks post op and I feel like my weight loss has stalled. I'm down a little over 25 since surgery but in the last 4 days I've lost 1-2.  I am eating as instructed and exercising about 30 minutes almost every day. Okay, whining portion of the post now finished! So the question is: can I expect this to break? Is there something I can do to help it break?

angeleigh
on 7/22/13 10:28 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Yes it will pass. And it will happen again, over and over and over. Stalls are normal. Its your body trying to adjust to the weight loss. Just keep sticking to your plan and doing your workouts. As you build more muscle you will lose less but lean muscle looks better then fat. So do measurements and watch how those change. Watch how your clothing fits, it will get bigger even when the scale isnt moving much.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/22/13 11:58 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

This site needs to make a sticky post that says A THREE WEEK STALL IS NORMAL

I would for SURE be working out more than 30 minutes if you are 3 weeks post op. By that point I was going 45 minutes minimum, but breaking it up into different things unless it was walking fast or riding my bike. I could not do 45 minutes on the elliptical then. I can now...and then some...but 30 minutes is just not enough, IMO.

Don't forget hydration--very important!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Joyceebaby
on 7/23/13 12:10 am, edited 7/23/13 4:47 am
RNY on 11/29/12

First off, 30 minutes is plenty for 3 weeks out.  Everyone is not the same and does not recover the same.

And yes, the 2-3 weeks after surgery stall is VERY common.  I posted on here when I had mine :)  It will pass.  Hang in there and take care of yourself. 

Sherry T.
on 7/23/13 4:44 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

Thank you!  There was no way at 3 weeks I could do 30 mins...hell I was happy to walk down 2 houses and back home after I had surgery.    I didn't hit the hard stuff until about 6 months out.  I was just so big.  Walking short periods was all I could do.

Sherry

VintageChick
on 7/23/13 9:27 am

No 30 minutes for me, either, yet I lost 40 pounds by my 2 month check-up. That was even with the 3 week stall that lasted a whole 3 weeks, too. We're all different in our stamina to begin with, and some of us take longer to recuperate. At 3 weeks my hemoglobin was still around a 10. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

Brian C.
on 7/23/13 12:37 am - Slingerlands, NY
RNY on 07/01/13
Thanks everyone for your advice and support! I had a feeling this was common but I didn't expect it to be this frustrating! I am hoping to resume my karate training next week (no sparring, as per doctor's orders!) so hopefully that will add to my exercise.
Mrs_Stimpy
on 7/23/13 5:13 am
RNY on 12/20/12

I stalled at 3 days, at 3 weeks (for about a week), and then again at six months (for about 3 weeks).  You're good - just be sure not to eat too little hoping to break the stall.  You don't want your body to think it's starting to starve.  You might even want to eat a little bit more and see if that helps.  Good exercise - I didn't do that for about the first month.

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views