Medicaid

wana_b_me
on 6/12/13 11:11 am - NJ
Does anyone have suggestions on which whey protein medicaid approves. My pharmacy gave me a soy protein. All of my vitamins got approved. And the pharmacies have no idea. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanx Fany...

HW 242 SW 232  CW 164 GW 130  

poet_kelly
on 6/12/13 11:15 am - OH

You mean a protein powder that Medicaid will pay for?  I didn't realize Medicaid pays for over the counter supplements.  I thought they only paid for prescriptions.

Can't you call the number on your Medicaid card and ask what they cover?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wana_b_me
on 6/12/13 11:18 am - NJ
Yes and no they can't or won't give me any answers. So now I'm stuck trying to find one.

poet_kelly
on 6/12/13 11:20 am - OH

Well, if they won't tell you what they cover and what they don't, how will you know?  That doesn't make sense.  Did you ask to speak to a supervisor?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

carter.melodyj
on 7/13/13 2:24 pm - tucumcari, NM

yes vitamins are paid for and usually they are prenatal vitamins because they are better than over the counter ones. Protein is not a vitamin. you can not always get everything for free. After gastric bypass your health is suppose to improve so that you can go back to work and being productive. This is how you afford your protein. You also  will feel so much better having a job and making new friends with the new improved and healthy you.

KimKinVA
on 6/12/13 11:54 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

My private insurance does not pay for nutritional supplementation. Has someone told you that Medicaid pays for protein powder? I'm just curious.

wana_b_me
on 6/12/13 1:03 pm - NJ
They all don't like to pay, although it is something we need so they have to pay you have to do your research and be persistent. yes medicaid doe's pay but shop rite pharmacy gave me a soy protein. so now i'm looking for whey protein.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/12/13 2:45 pm - OH

No, they don't HAVE to pay because we don't HAVE to have it to survive (not everyone has shakes after surgery... they just do the best they can and get in lots of soft high-protein foods and eat nothing BUT protein for the first month or so).  Some insurance policies (like my current one and the one I had when i had my surgery in 2007) specifically exclude any kind of nutritional supplements or vitamins unless the vitamins are by prescription (and even a "prescription" for protein powder doesn't cut it because it is not an item that requires a prescription).  That would be like saying that my insurance has to pay for my monthly massages because I "need" them to keep me from having to go to the chiropractor for an injury sustained about 10 years ago (and my PCP wrote a prescription for it so that I wouldn't have to ay state sales tax on each massage).  I choose massage over having my neck snapped but it doesn't mean insurance has to pay for my choice.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 6/12/13 1:32 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

That blows my mind that Medicaid pays for protein.  I pay over $800 a month for my medical insurance and they don't pay for protein or even vitamins.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/12/13 2:47 pm - OH

Mine doesn't either (nor the one I had when I had surgery 6 years ago).  I find it aggravating when government (taxpayer funded) medical plans cover things that my paid plan does not.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 398 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 221 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Recent Topics