I have an ulcer - ouch - any advice?

chickiedoo123
on 4/11/13 11:52 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Hello All -

I have had a sore hurting tummy for three weeks. I have been taking pain medication and sleeping with a heating pad at night.   I called my surgeons office and was given a rx for omperazole - after 3 days I was not feeling better .  I called again today and the physicians assistant told me that I had an ulcer and gave me another rx for carafate which I will take 4x a day now.  This is so not fun.  There was no real explanation as to why I have this ulcer.

Does anyone else have an ulcer??  Could it be from drinking coffee??

Ellie                
Pittsteelers
on 4/11/13 12:37 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I have an ulcer too. I don't know what caused your ulcer (I do not drink coffee) but we believe mine was cause by rice that I ate and scratches my pouch. Carafate is wonderful and really helps me when I feel my ulcer flare up. I only have to take it when I feel it flaring up.

annapedziwiatr
on 4/11/13 1:09 pm - Glendale, AZ
Marginal ulcers form on the anastomis due to acid coming from a fistula or being produced by parietal cells that line your pouch, or from tension or poor blood flow @ the suture line. I am an expert on ulcers. I am having a revision on Tuesday due to multiple ulcers that have failed to heal with medical management...10ml of Carafate every 3hrs around the clock, high dose PPI, multiple EGD's for placement of surgical clips on the bleeding ulcers. They will be removing 80% of my remnant & basically connecting intestine to esophgus and placing a g or j-tube for feeding & meds. Marginal ulcers are a little discussed risk factor of RNY. Take the Carafate & the PPI & no NSAIDS. I've had 5 GI bleeds so far due to Marginal Ulcers.
chickiedoo123
on 4/11/13 1:28 pm - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Oh my gosh!  I hope you are feeling better soon!

Ellie                
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views