Palafer iron? Has anyone taken this?

Calla Lily
on 3/22/13 12:03 am
RNY on 01/23/12

Went to the doc yesterday to follow up on my blood work... my iron dropped again! Im having a heck of a time getting back to normal range. My dr has now prescribed palafer. Has anyone taken this and has success? Also my blood sugar was low from the a1c test, it was 3.7 ... I think we might use different numbers in Canada for this test, because I tried to google information on what this test and this number means but couldnt really find anything... so all I know is that my dr said this was below normal range and said I may be hypoglycemic... He didnt say anything more about it, so I dont even know if there is something I should be doing to treat it? Crazy how for the first 12 months I had no issues with deficiencies and blood sugar etc, and its as if clock work, I hit the 12 months and started to fall apart YIKES! I would think for all the vitamins I take this would be impossible to happen, but it did!

So back to my question, has anyone taken this:

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Dee.spunk
on 3/22/13 12:19 am - Sacramento, CA
No sorry. I wish I could help. I hope someone on OH knows what it's about. Take care of yourself! We need you around!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Calla Lily
on 3/22/13 12:42 am
RNY on 01/23/12

Omg! I absolutely love the pink hair!  I used to feel all secretly proud of myself when my blood work would come back all normal... And now my last 2 in a row were not, with the second one being even worse! I guess this is pretty normal to happen with an Rny, and at least I'm working on getting it back to normal... It's just odd that it all of a sudden changed! But I mean really, if this is my biggest post op problem, I'm probably pretty lucky!  :)

Dee.spunk
on 3/22/13 1:37 am - Sacramento, CA
Thanks! Needed a change for spring!
Well, the only thing that I've read in here when people have low iron is they have to go in and get iron infusions. Maybe something to look into?

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

65rosesmom
on 3/22/13 1:41 am

Sorry to hear this....I don't know much about either.   It sucks that despite taking all the right things that our vitamins can tank anyway.   So frustrating.

Where can you see Dee's pink hair?   I still see the blue.  You aren't the first to mention it and I am beginning to think I'm crazy.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Calla Lily
on 3/22/13 1:52 am
RNY on 01/23/12

oh odd, this morning her little picture had pink hair, but now I see the blue hair again too!

Gizzys
on 3/22/13 4:48 am - Canada

Can't say that I have heard of Palafer.  Is it a type of iron?  What have you been taking up to now?

I have been taking one prenatal in the morning and the calcium citrate (1200mg) throughout the day.  I also take a sublingual B12 every few days.  My labs have been okay but trending down in iron.  But not to the point of being an issue the Med Hat dietician says.  I also don't think our labwork numbers jive with the american lab numbers.  They seem to be SO different.  It would be interesting to compare ours and see.  My last labwork was done in Dec 2012.  Maybe I will get a copy and email you with my numbers so we can compare.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Calla Lily
on 3/22/13 12:53 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

Yes that is a great idea, I'll get a copy of mine on my next appointment too... Although I don't know what they mean, at least we can see how close ours match.  I take pregvit, one pink in morning, and one blue at night, and my calcium is the liquid  citrate as well. I also take 2 drops of vit d, and was taking a liquid iron until being switched to this new pill now. I don't take any extra b12 as that seems to be normal so far. 

shellabella
on 3/22/13 5:29 am - Canada
Palafer is a name brand. It is very good for helping you to get your levels up. An a1c of 3.7 is a little low ( should be between 4-6). Did you feel "strange"? Weak, dizzy, hungry when you had that test? If so, remember that feeling and get some protein into you. Wait 15 mins. Any lower is dangerous. You here about how high numbers are bad but low numbers are just as critical.

XO-SHELLABELLA
FROM "SHELLEY BELLY" TO "SHELLEY BEAUTIFUL"...EVENTUALLY!
Calla Lily
on 3/22/13 12:46 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

I was both thirsty and hungry at the time of the fasting test, I was 13 hours with out, and I think the longest I've gone in past year was maybe 9 hours max while sleeping thru night. In normal life during waking hours I eat at least every 3 hours, and am always drinking something... I am having to have it retested in 4 weeks, so maybe it will be back to normal? But good to know normal is 4 to 6, I was seeing numbers in the 60's and higher on google thinking omg! I really am low lol 

Recent Topics