Question about Protein Powders v Price

thynnlynn
on 1/30/13 2:42 am - MI

I have a question about a particular protein powder.  Money is a big consideration now and I have to get as much band for my buck, as possible without compromising my health.

I have been trying to have a protein drink in the morning as I have a hard time with breakfast.  I having been using the Body Fortress Whey Protein from WalMart and it is $15.99 per 2# canister.  It has 26g protein per scoop and the first ingredient is Super whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate).

They also carry one that is more expensive and is the Whey Protein Isolate which I believe is about $22 per 2# canister.  I know this does not seem like a big difference and I know they are both significantly less expensive than most of the other brands.

As I will be getting protein from other sources not too long after surgery, is the least expensive one still considered to be okay?  I know that we can also use soy protein and that those who are following a vegan diet are not using whey protein of any kind.  With money going towards vitamins and other things associated with this surgery, protein drinks will have to fall into my budget, but I do not want it to be at a health risk.

I am 100 miles from my doctor's office and 300 miles from the hospital he uses, so a lot is going to be needed f******oney, even if I do not have any complicatons.

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/30/13 3:21 am

I think the least expensive one is fine. As you say, you will be getting protein from other sources. I use the Pure Protein powder that I get at Fred Meyer (I believe that is Kroger in other parts of the country) and Winco.

At 16 months out, I don't use it often--mostly just thrown in some oatmeal or if I want to drink my breakfast instead of eat it.

I've also tried Designer Whey, and it's not bad. Sometimes Vitamin Shoppe has it on special. Also Chike brand sometimes has a special where you can get a sample for free (shipping is on you). So check around.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Andrew L.
on 1/30/13 4:37 am - Klamath Falls, OR
RNY on 04/11/12

I have been using Body Fortress Whey Protein from WalMart and Muscle Milk from day one.  My doc and nut told me it really didn't matter as long as I look at the sugar content and keep my supplements(bars and shakes) below 4g of sugar per serving.  That simple guideline has proved successful for me.

ACLakey's Bariatric Blog

Highest Weight 06/2011 = 370
Weight at Surgery 04/11/2012 = 328.8
Goal Weight = 230

Jules0225
on 1/30/13 4:38 am
I started off pre and post op with the cheaper one. Its fine. Good amount of protein, esp if you use skim milk, low in sugar and the taste isn't terrible. I do recommend a blender/shaker cup (the plastic cup with the metal ball) if you can. It can be a little clumpy even with the cup. From what I understand (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong) the difference between whey protein and whey protein isolate is the isolate is thinner (therefore giving it a less clumpy consistancy) and is made with digestive enzymes so we abdorb it immediately. As far as your health goes either is fine.

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Amanda M.
on 1/30/13 4:54 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I use the cheaper one as well. It has worked fine for me. Although the taste of it now is starting to bug me, so I may need to try something else. Its not unbearable, but I would like to enjoy my drink a little bit. Lol.

I also suggest a blender bottle! I shake mine like crazy, and continue to shake it between drinks to avoid the grit or dreaded protein clump!

But really, its comparable to powders that cost twice as much, and I just dont think thats needed. Being broke wont make you any healthier!

Jules0225
on 1/30/13 5:13 am

Funny you should mention the taste. About 2 weeks out I had to find a new one because I couldn't stand the taste either. I even used it for over 3 months preop. lol 

Amanda M.
on 1/30/13 5:16 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I also used it for almost 3 months pre op. I thought it was good, too! Now I am a week and a half out and I have to force myself to drink it. What did you switch to?

Jules0225
on 1/30/13 5:35 am

GNC Brand Premixed Total Lean Swiss Chocolate. It's been on sale for a while... 20% off so it comes to $23.99 for a  case of 12.  I also have the GNC card so the first week of every month I get 20% off my order. It was $15 for the year for the card, worth it to me considering how much I buy from there. So about $55/month for the shakes. 25g of protein, 170 calories, 2g of sugar, 6g of fat in 14oz bottle and it's lactose free. I've noticed people on here either love it or hate it. There is other stuff out there that gives you more bang for your buck I imagine (more protein, smaller serving) but I really like it and it works really well for me. It also comes in powder but I haven't looked into it. The guy in GNC said the price per serving is about the same as the powder anyway. 

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread!!

rocky513
on 1/30/13 5:01 am - WI

The Body Fortress Whey Isolate is 99% lactose free.  The regular Body Fortress is not because it contains whey concentrate.  Whey Isolate is a better quality  protein and is easier for us to absorb.  If you don't have a lactose intolerance problem, the cheaper one will work just fine.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Annyka
on 1/30/13 6:56 am - Pfafftown, NC

Honestly this is not a place I would scrimp. Whey Protein isolate is the quality protein we need. Your food budget should be seriously altered post op, which should more than cover any difference in cost for that big of a tub.

Follow my journey including lots of bariatric friendly recipes!

http://www.halfofannie.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 218 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 278 views