Vitamin Med Schedule - Help!

chickiedoo123
on 1/9/13 4:02 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Hello All -

I am hoping that there is someone out there who would be willing to look at my med / vitamin schedule and tell me if I am doing something wrong or if I should tweak some things around so I am getting the biggest bang for my buck regarding absorbtion.  Here is what I take and the time that I take my meds / vitamins:

9 am (when I get to work)

• Levothyroxine (0.25 mcg)
  • Celexa 40mg
  • B-12 (lozenges) - 2000
  • Vitamin D - 2000 iu
  • Citrical Petites (Calcium + D 2 tabs = 1 serving) - 400 mg calcium + 500 IU Vit D
  • Cranberry

Noon

• Citrical Petites (Calcium + D 2 tabs = 1 serving) - 400 mg calcium + 500 IU Vit D

8 pm

1. Vitamin D - 2000 iu
  2. Cranberry
  3. Omperazole
  4. Biotin
  5. Vitron C (65 mg iron)
  6. Colace
  7. Multi Vitamin (2 of them)

I am feeling that I am missing some calcium??

Any help would be most appreciated!

Ellie                
poet_kelly
on 1/9/13 4:05 am - OH

Yeah, you're only getting 800 mg calcium citrate and you need 1500-2000 mg.  So you need two or three more doses.  You could do them at 2 pm and 4 pm, something like that.

Regarding your meds, you should check with your pharmacist to make sure when it's OK to take those.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chickiedoo123
on 1/9/13 4:16 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Miss Kelly you are awesome!  Thanks so much - I am going to add the calcium today!

I saw a video on you tube regarding calcium carbonate ....someone said if you take a sip of crystal light or something that has citric acid in it that RNY'ers can absorb the calcium.  Is this true?  I am thinking that I am going to need o switch to Calcium Citrate chewables.  The Citrical petites I take now are still huge and they are expensive.

Thanks in advance!

Ellie                
poet_kelly
on 1/9/13 4:23 am - OH

I've never heard that about calcium carbonate and it doesn't sound right to me.  Did the person in the video say where they got that info?  Like, was there a study published in a peer reviewed medical journal?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chickiedoo123
on 1/9/13 4:46 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Hi Miss Kelly -

Nope not a published study - they said that their surgeon or nutritionist told them that.  It seems fishy to me.  I have very little faith in my nutritionist...Love my surgeon....but an really leery of info that I am given. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions :-)  You are a smart lady!

Ellie                
scattebury
on 1/9/13 5:24 am - MO
RNY on 01/23/13

Hi Chickiedoo,  I agree with Poet_Kelly about the calcium carbonate.  I keep hearing that it's low quality and hard to absorb and to only use Calcium citrate.  But I also noticed that you take your Levothyroxine with a lot of other meds.  In order for you to be able to absorb it correctly you need to take it 2 hours before anything else.  Like have it right by your bed and take it right when you get up then when you get to work take your other meds.  You should talk to your Endocrinologist of course but those thyroid pills are tricksie things.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 227 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.