Aspirin Quandry

OldmanJim
on 12/22/12 1:55 pm - AZ

You have a lot of good advice listed here.  Now I'll tell you my story.  I'm one of those "old men" Sin Kim referred to.  I asked the very same question you just posed here about 6 months ago.  I'm 67 and I have 5 stents.  My RNY was on May 17, 2012.  My cardiologist wanted me to stay on .81 aspirin everyday.  My surgeon reluctantly agreed.  Two weeks ago tomorrow I woke up early with with cramping in my lower abdomen.  I thought it was from one of my wife's protein bars (too much sugar) I had the previous evening.  Did my thing on the john and suddenly I had this gush of liquids.  It was mostly dark red blood.  In the next 2 hours while getting ready to go the ER, I went three more times and each time it was a brighter red.  I experienced light headedness, dizziness and was extremely tired while trying to get my things ready for the hospital.  My blood pressure dropped to 75 over 48 before I left home.

In the ER my blood pressure fell to 53 over 38 before they started an IV and Protonix 3 (used to heal and stop bleed the bleeding in a possible ulcer).   Had a different gastro surgeon exam me.  He performed an endoscopic procedure and found that I had, in laymen terms, a bleeding ulcer .  I was in the ER for 6 hours, 4 days in the hospital, 2 of which were in the ICU.  I had my blood drawn every 6 hours for the entire stay.  I received 3 units of blood.  I also went 2 days NPO,  which was no water and no food.

I am no longer on aspirin as I refuse to go thru this crap again.  I never realized how dangerous a bleeding ulcer can be.  Instead on one little aspirin I now take Nexium once a day, Plavix every other day (haven't been on this for a couple of years), and a liquid that's called Carafate that I'm required to take  4 times a day, on an empty stomach 1 hour before I eat or 2-3 hours after I eat.  Try to fit that into your schedule of eating 4 or 5 times day and not drinking water for an hour after you eat.

It was a terrible experience.  I never thought I would have a problem with the 81 aspirin as I had been taking it for 15 or 20 years.  No one can guess whether or not you will get ulcers if you continue taking aspirin.  I for one now believe that no NASAIDS means NO NASAIDS, PERIOD!  One point I failed to mention is that I never had any pain at the spot they said my ulcer was located. 

As for your situation you have to have faith in your surgeon.  I was off aspirin for 7 days before my RNY and I had no trouble and they even took out my gallbladder and repaired a hernia at the same time.  You really have to be careful with aspirin.  I wish you good luck and God's speed on your trip to the "loser's bench".

Jim

thynnlynn
on 12/23/12 1:07 am - MI

Glad to hear you are better!!  We had a friend, who is 80, whose daughter found her passed out on the bathroom floor.  Turned out this was from low BP due to a bleeding ulcer.  She had no pain and no blood in stool either.  She also spent time in the ICU.

Perhaps I will go off it before surgery and make an appointment with my cardiologist for other options.  I have to see my PCP because I take Indocin for gout, when needed, and it is a HD NSAID, as well.  He will have to change it to Alllipurinol.  I shall be calling for appointments tomorrow if they are open.

This is why these forums are so important.  One gets a really good cross-section of stories, be they good or bad. 

Had you ever had stomach issues of any kind before the surgery?

Blessings!

Lynn

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 279 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?