CPAP machine and gas??

chickiedoo123
on 12/14/12 1:41 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Hey Everyone!  Happy Friday!

So I had HORRIBLE sleep apnea prior to surgery - once I had surgery sleeping with my machine became difficult - I would take it off in the night so I decided to sleep without it for a month and a half....my hubby says I still snore so the last 2 nights I decided to put it back on at bedtime (plus I got a new mask and hose)....last night and the night prior I woke up multiple times during the night feeling like my stomach  (pouch) was going to EXPLODE.......I was dreaming that I had gas and couldn't burp.  This morning I woke up felt nauseous and belched and felt better.......I am really gassy and bloated today - quite uncomfortable - could this be from my CPAP machine?  Could I be being a weirdo and swallowing airf while I am sleeping?  What is a girl to do?

Ellie                
robin1103
on 12/14/12 1:46 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

I have the same issue as you-- I notice that sometimes in the morning that I feel gassy.. never put 2 and 2 together about the air from the machine going into my stomach.  I haven't had the problem with it hurting my pouch.

Maybe you need an adjustments since you have lost weight and the settings are too high.  I would call your doctor and ask.. maybe he can lower the settings.

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

Susan2012
on 12/14/12 3:16 am

I had the same problem. Feels like the gas can't go up or down. The problem was the pressure on the machine was too high since I lost weight. I had to have another sleep study which proved this. First they lowered the pressure but that didn't help much. Now they put it on auto mode and that has been good. 

raptor62
on 12/14/12 5:38 am - IL
RNY on 07/27/12

Same experience here.  Instead of another sleep study they got me a auto-pap machine and they review the stats monthly.  My apnea events have increased with the auto-pap over my constant pressure machine.   switched back to my constant pressure machine.

I am also concerned that it could be stretching out my pouch.  I am 4 month post op and it seems like I can eat more.

I was hoping to get off the machine completely after losing 136lbs but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Knowknews
on 12/14/12 7:38 am - OH

Me too!  I'm giving this new Auto bi-pap machine a try, but if it doesn't work, I'm going to strongly suggest the mouth piece to my doctor.

RNY 10/29/12   HW:  295   SW: 273    DGW: 170   MGW: 145

Neaucora
on 12/14/12 12:33 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I was having the same problems. I would wake up in the morning bloating and had gas from ends for like an hour. UGH. The said the air flow was overflowing into my pouch, filling it up, and pushing it through into my intestines.  I ended up being put on a low flow of oxygen with a canula and no longer need the Cpap.  I feel good and energized when I wake up now. 

chickiedoo123
on 12/14/12 12:39 pm - MN
RNY on 08/22/12
Thanks everyone for the responses! My machine is on auto pressure. My doctor switched it before i had surgery. I guess out is time to go back to the doctor......or maybe i don't need the machine anymore. I felt so horrible the last two days. I'm going to try to sleep tonight without it. I really hope i don't have to do another sleep test.
Ellie                
dineshk
on 12/20/12 3:35 pm, edited 12/20/12 3:35 pm

Pressure difference might have caused this problem. Check with doctor once

http://www.prajwalhealthcare.com/sleep-solutions.html

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 412 views