Alone on Thanksgiving-BY CHOICE-Vent

MultiMom
on 11/21/12 2:12 am - NH

I just got back from setting my ex mother-in-laws hair and at 89 she is fretting that this is the first time in 60-something years that she ISN'T cooking for everyone!! I'll tell you, she is not happy about it either. LOL, I told her to relax, it's time for someone else to take over and cook and clean for her.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/21/12 1:24 am

Oh dear. It sounds as if your family has worried themselves into a tizzy thinking you are putting up a brave front. I don't have any sensible advice, but enjoy your day. I think being alone and doing some decorating sounds divinelaugh.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 11/21/12 1:35 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

TG isn't my favorite holiday, either. As far as I can see, its only purpose is for somebody (ahem...Mom) to do a heck of a lot of work. Slaving in the kitchen is not spending time with your loved ones! 

While others are cleaning, chopping, basting, arguing, overeating, cleaning again, feeling resentful, battling weather, sitting in airports, driving in traffic...you kick back and enjoy yourself! 

MultiMom
on 11/21/12 2:15 am - NH

On the news today the had the reporting of the annual 40 mile back-up on the Massachusetts Turnpike with people traveling to Grandmothers house.....YIKES!!!

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

laura_vermont
on 11/21/12 1:45 am

I like your plan.  I'm post-poning the holiday until Saturday.  I have everything I need to make a nice Mexican meal on Thursday.  We're excited that we'll have no where to go - and no pressure to do difficult things -  like get dressed.  We stopped traveling a while ago.  My family just won't come my direction... usually seem ok to see me... but the road runs both ways.  I'm happier not spending the day with extended family too. 

Have a very good day!

Laura

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

MyLady Heidi
on 11/21/12 2:29 am

We celebrated the meal on Sunday for my bf's family and we were supposed to go to NYC for the day tomorrow but it appears my fuel pump on my car deciding to go means I spend the money on repairing that instead of the train to NY.  Oh well I plan to spend the day with my dogs while my bf plans to park his butt on the couch and watch football.  I prefer to take my chances walking in the woods with my dogs and risk getting shot by hunters rather then sit on the couch and watch millionaires run around trying to give each other TBI's.

MultiMom
on 11/21/12 2:36 am - NH

Wear bright orange and enjoy!! I admit, I will be watching the NE Patriots, but that game doesn't start until 8:30 pm. Hmmmm.....an afternoon nap sounds good too!

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

MyLady Heidi
on 11/21/12 4:48 am

I will probably watch the parade on tv and then off I go with my dogs, maybe when I get back and they are asleep I can sneak in a nap too.  I would rather have boatloads of cash and Friday off to go shopping, now that sounds like fun. lol

As for the orange I typically wear green camo, so I blend.  lol

Have a fabulous day!

wendydettmer
on 11/21/12 2:57 am - Rochester, NY

Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Ladytazz
on 11/21/12 3:35 am

I'm jealous that you have people calling, worried about you.  Personally I don't care for holidays.  Too much pressure to do everything right and spend a lot of money I don't have.  If it weren't for my daughter and boyfriend I would just stay home and ignore it.

My son and his wife invited us over and I am grateful that they did.  My three older kids are all married and between their father's family and their new spouses family I always feel left out, like the last one chosen on the team.  Everyone else comes first it seems.  I don't say anything to my kids because it's my problem but it does hurt to hear that they are doing things that I'm not involved with.  They deal with the conflicts by going to different houses and having more then one dinner.  Last week my son and his wife had a dinner at their house for my ex's family.  I don't begrudge them that but it still hurts even though I guess I should be happy that I was invited for the actual day, which will involve mainly her family and his "other" family, me and the half sisters.  My daughter is going to her in laws house and then having a dinner for her grand parents and father.  She was nice enough to invite me since I have done things with them in the past and I work real hard to get along even though I can't stand them but this time I have an excuse of having to work so I won't have to deal with it.  I don't know what my other son is doing.  He may be at my other son's house, I'm not sure.

My poor boyfriend has it worse.  No family Thanksgiving for him.  His mother sued him to try to run him out of the business they have been running for 40 years due to conflicts with a new sister in law.  They were unsuccessful in getting rid of him but they did force his son (her grandson!) out of the business.  The poor kid just had a baby and they got him fired to get even with his father.  Now the son is suing the rest of the family for unfair termination.  Yeah, that would be an uncomfortable dinner.

You see why I hate the holidays?  All the family drama comes to the surface during those damn "happy" times.  I remember growing up my parents were divorced and I was stuck between dealing with all that.  I don't want my kids to have to go through that and they are dealing with it the best way they can.  I just let them do their thing and don't law any guilt trips on them whatever their choice.

My favorite day of the year is Jan. 2.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 193 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics