Sleep Apnea Question

chickiedoo123
on 11/14/12 12:19 pm - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Hello All -

I am 11 weeks out and have lost 56 pounds - so crazy I can't believe it half the time!

Prior to surgery I had HORRIBLE sleep apnea - I stopped breathing 61 times in an hour.  For the last month or so I have had the most difficult time with my CPAP machine.  I feel like it is smothering me....I rip it off during the night while I am sleeping.  I have even unplugged the machine and set it on the other side of the room while I have been sleeping.  Prior to surgery I LOVED my CPAP machine - I even bedazzled it.

Wondering if all of this aversion to it could be a sign that I may not need it?  It has been weeks since I have slept with it - I know this is bad!  I sleep so poorly with it on because I am constantly fighting with it to get it off my face.

I need to call my Dr. because they wanted to see me after I had lost 50 pounds to see if it was necessary for me to be on the machine when I would sleep.

I have not noticed any ill effects of not having it on - I am alert during the day - wake up fine in te morning etc.

If anyone has had any experience with this please let me know :-)

Ellie                
BWB
on 11/14/12 1:16 pm

Yes, but it was before surgery that I wore it.  I ripped it off too.  I haven't had another study but I don't think I have sleep apnea since surgery.

Dave Chambers
on 11/14/12 2:00 pm - Mira Loma, CA

With the wt loss, you may not have sleep apnea anymore. Have you had a sleep study done lately?  If not, you probably should. You may not need the CPAP machine anymore, or you may need the pressure setting reduced.  I used my CPAP for 6 months past my surgery, as it offered my some "peace of mind" as I was used to using it. I finally stopped on my own.  I have sleep issues, but it's a byproduct of the surgery, not sleep apnea.  I don't have trouble breathing, just unable to sleep without medication. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

celia1988
on 11/14/12 2:28 pm - WA

I am 8 weeks out from RNY. I have struggled with my CPAP from the day I got it ( almost 2 years now). I have a variable pressure machine, so the machine is supposed to adjust the pressures on its own. Every night until this past week I would wake up at 0330 and tear it off. My mouth would be dried out( even with the humidifier going on it) and I felt generally crappy and never rested. I am hoping that since I have lost 33 pounds since surgery( 53 in total), that maybe my pressures are not needed to be up so high. I go to my sleep doc tomorrow and we will read the chip and see what it says and make adjustments. I hope I can eventually ditch this thing and sleep through the night and feel rested in the morning.

Perhaps you just need your pressures adjusted? It is no fun not sleeping, but I hope this resolves for you and you sleep well. CONGRATS on the 56 pounds!! Is this not a wonderful journey?? Good luck!

Laurie :-)

Christopher S.
on 11/14/12 8:40 pm - Medina, NY
RNY on 01/24/12

I still think I need mine...maybe not for much longer. I also had very bad apnea. I was firmly warned by my doctor to not skip using it, I guess after use it is harder to wake and can cause lack of oxygen problems even death. So I will wait till my weight loss slows and get another sleep study done. Would be nice to get rid of that beast, hate taking it with us camping and traveling.   

Weight Loss Ticker

Christopher

LucysJourney
on 11/15/12 4:49 am - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

Amen to not wanting to travel or camp with it.  My Bi-Pap was my life saver...but I would love it more if it was just a memory...soon I hope to be there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 227 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.