My Panniculectomy (with photos)

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/12 2:37 am
RNY on 08/31/12

Thank you. I now know what a panniculectomy is! Very nice.

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/12 3:10 am

Looking great! Its scary how much your before picture looks like me now, even with my weight loss. I want this surgery!

AlohaJen
on 11/1/12 4:39 am
RNY on 09/05/12

Did you have alot of pain with the plastic surgery?  and if you ever did get your new boobs, which surgery was the most painful ?  Thanks....

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

MultiMom
on 11/1/12 7:05 am - NH

I actually got the boobs first. I am not kidding when I say I had skin flaps with nipples! I just wanted to fill out the empty skin, not to have big ones at all. Painwise, it wasn't too bad.

I had the panni done about 3 months after the boobs. The panniculectomy was very painful!! I had never had a drain before and that wasn't pleasant either. I have photos on my profile that show the panni after surgery. You can look at those and see how long the cut was.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/2/12 2:48 am - OH

That's surprising... my panniculectomy was pretty pain free, despite the size of the incision. The only part that really hurt were the endpoints on my hips because they would pull when I bent or twisted.  The drains were annoying, but not painful at all.  I have had a NUMBER of open surgeries where muscle cutting was involved, though, so perhaps that skews my idea of painful.  The panni was a piece of cake compared to EVERY open surgery I have had and even my arm lift.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MultiMom
on 11/2/12 2:57 am - NH

Good heavens.....I have never had an open surgery that included muscle cutting, and hope that I never do! My implants were over the muscle, not under, so maybe that's why that was easy on me too. My hat's off to you, Lora!

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

tulips52
on 11/1/12 7:55 am

I would be extremely happy to have my tummy look like yours. I can certainly relate to the deflated boobs, too. Sheesh, I just had a mammography and the technician said that I did the best because I could tolerate the maximum squeeze of the machine...what does that tell you. lol My bariatric center told me they've never seen anyone get approved for the panni w/o significant problems with the insurance carrier that I have. If I had to choose, it'd be my batwings first....they are beyond belief! 

I got off track. I wanted to say how wonderful you look...and youthful, too!!!!

Ladytazz
on 11/1/12 11:28 am

Did your insurance pay for your boobs?  I wish mine would.

Your panni looks like mine does now.  I had mine 9 years ago and in spite of regaining 100 lbs the skin bounced right back when I lost the weight again.  In fact, it stayed flat even when I was morbidly obese again.  I looked very odd because my lower stomach was flat and the upper stomach was huge.  I still have my belly button where it was, though.  I have never regretted having the panni. My clothes fit so much better now and I look normal in clothes without the bulge that showed no matter what I wore.

Here is a picture of me from Aug. 2003, about 9 months after my first WLS.  I had just reached 100 lbs lost and a normal BMI but I still looked fat because of the excess skin.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MultiMom
on 11/1/12 9:03 pm - NH

I have never heard of insurance paying for boobs lost due to weight loss. Mine were paid for by me (we had a large tax return that year). My parting shot to the asshat I was married to was to treat myself kiss

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/1/12 11:34 am - OH
Looks great!

I sometimes wish I had opted to have my belly button moved up when I had my tummy work done (I had an insurance-paid panniculectomy and then a self-pay tummy tuck a year later). My belly button is now about an inch and a half lower than it was before and, although it was always an "innie", is very deep (have to use a Q-tip to clean it) and has sort of a little "hood" over it (a mini version of what is in your before pic, but withs month skin).

It's not a big deal, really, just sometimes I look at it and think it looks weird that it is so low

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 412 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 279 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 193 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics