body fortess protein shots

chowell
on 10/14/12 8:39 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
i was wondering if any one has tried these and if i was to take half now and half later would i absorb all the protein, i know our bodies only asborb 20g at a time and this shot has 42g. I dont want any wasted protein since i am having such a hard time getting it all in.

Cecily Howell                

Kat Kat
on 10/14/12 9:13 pm - AZ

You have to be careful about the types of proteins you consume because the bio-availabilty is not all the same. The ingrediants for these shots is listed below. I bolded the Collagenic because this type of protein does not have the amino acids we RNYers need. Companies add a little Whey to make you think that it's the "Good" kind of shot. Hopefully you can bring them back for a refund. 

Water (Purified), Proprietary Protein Blend (Hydrolyzed Collagenic, Whey & Casein), Maleic Acid, Branched Chain Amino Acids (Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine), Natural Flavors, Vitamin Blend, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide, D Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Monohydrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid (Folate) Vitamin B12, Biotin (Vitamin H), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Red 40 Lake (CI 16035) (FD & C)

The following information for these shots came from:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=221305&catid= 181811&aid=335944&aparam=body_fortress_super_whey&CAID=9592d dd5-30b6-447f-ad2c-2320c67a959c

Kat

chowell
on 10/14/12 9:18 pm, edited 10/14/12 9:21 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12

the shots i have say IDS proprietary belnd of collagen protein, whey protein isolate, casein protein isolate. nothing about hydro collagen is that the same thing. it is called new whey liquid protein and the box said perfect for baractric surgery patients

Cecily Howell                

Kat Kat
on 10/14/12 9:39 pm - AZ
Yes, it's the same thing. It's the word Collagen that is the key that it isn't okay for us. They make a blend, so you have no idea how much of what you are getting. Collagen is cheap protein, basically hoofs, horns and hides. Companies toss in a little whey to make it sound like it's the "Good" kind. As you navigate the products marketed to us, you'll be surprised at how many say they are pefect for us, but are not. Well, I suppose this one would be perfect for us if we were using it to get in part of the daily required fluids.

Kat

poet_kelly
on 10/14/12 10:37 pm - OH
The ONLY brand of protein shot that is a good choice for us is the Yes Whey brand from Bariatric Advantage.  It's ALL whey protein.

Anything that has collagen is a bad choice.

Also, we CAN absorb more than 20 grams of protein at a time.  That's according to the ASMBS, who has the research to back it up.

If you want a protein shot, you can buy the Yes Whey from Bariatric Advantage or you can take any protein powder and mix a scoop with about two ounces of water.  It probably won't taste very good.  But most of the protein shots don't taste very good.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

devalissh
on 10/15/12 12:03 am - TX
I am pretty much living off of trd premier protein shakes they taste really good
you can buy them at sam's and you can also get them at costco.. my nut told me about them
Kay1975
on 10/15/12 1:58 am - PA
Hi Kelly,

Is there a limit t the amount of protein we can absorb at once.  Ty

Kay Kay

poet_kelly
on 10/15/12 3:16 am - OH
There is not, according to the ASMBS.  It is a very persistent myth, though.  If your doctor or dietician tells you there is a limit, you might ask them to show you the studies that back that up.  If they are able to show you any, I'd love it if you'd email me a link or the info so I can look it up myself.  But thus far, I haven't seen any studies showing that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 279 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 193 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics