Husband doesn't agree with the RnY I had

Jillychilly
on 8/18/12 5:34 pm - Marlton, NJ
RNY on 08/14/12
He SAYS he is supportive of me afterward but doesn't agree with the surgery I had. We've been fighting since I got home. I can't f*cking win 
He said, "I didn't think you'd go through with it". Um yeah I did jackass!

And he has the nerve to be butthurt that I seem hostile toward him.  I am so done with him about right now
garnetgal
on 8/18/12 5:50 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
 I empathize with how you're feeling. Just remember he doesn't have to agree with it. It is your body that you are investing time in to get healthy. If he says he's going to be supportive in spite of not agreeing with the surgery, then give him a chance to be supportive. You are only a few days out and your emotions may be all over the map right now. I know you're feeling some type of way right now. Try breathing thru your anger. Calm down, now is not the time to stress. You need to focus on your drinking and getting in some protein. Follow your plan. He may be worried about what happens when you lose the weight. How will it affect your relationship and maybe he can't express that to you right now. Take a step back. You aren't preaching to the choir with him, and you probably can't convince him of anything. So, just go with the flow and work on your journey. Good luck!

nfarris79
on 8/18/12 6:39 pm - Germantown, MD
 Take a "woooosaaaah" moment - you just had major surgery and what's done is done, so no use arguing over it, right?
He may come around and maybe he doesn't realize that NOW is not the time to voice up. Once pain is over, hormones get settled (and that'll take a few months), and you start adjusting to your new life, ask him what he REALLY fears about you having this surgery. Is he afraid you'll get so hot & leave him? Is he concerned for how your new life will affect him? Does he have his own insecurities? So often those that give us push-back about the surgery have less to do with us and more to do with them.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Dave Chambers
on 8/18/12 7:53 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Who was your support meeting at your preop consult with your surgeon?  My surgeon will NOT do any wt loss surgery on a patient until he actually meets your support person to help you the first few weeks at home.  That said, you need to inform "Mr. uniformed" that you need help, whether he agrees or not.  Where did he think you went when you had surgery???? DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Allen Y.
on 8/18/12 8:50 pm - Garland, TX
 I am not in your shoes, but I am thinking, does he supervise everything you eat? Why should he even care? I would think when the pounds start coming off and you look better and more healthy he will be pleased. Makes you wonder why he married you. Ask him.

Does he not want you to be healthy, ask him how many 70 year old women he has seen your size?

Regards
Allen

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/12 9:22 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
You can't control him acting like a jerk, you can only control how you respond to it. You did the right thing for YOU. If it isn't the right thing for HIM, well, tell him to not have the surgery.
SoCaPinkLady
on 8/19/12 11:22 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
I'm sorry you are going through this. My hubby was semi supportive of my surgery. He was a bit apprehensive about the risks. He never attended any of my meetings with me. My Surgeon didn't require it. But Let me tell you... now that I have lost this much weight and when people say things to me about it he is the one that is all excited and tells me to tell them how much I've lost and has to say "And the best part is,,,,, She doesn't SNORE anymore" 

Keep doing your program and try not to get discouraged with his attitude. Agree to disagree on this and keep your chin up!!!

Lori                               

maggaggie
on 8/20/12 7:04 am - MO
RNY on 05/29/12
Dealing with similar issues at home too.  Your'e not alone.
Surgery 5/29/12...
Paul C.
on 8/20/12 7:16 am - Cumming, GA
 Well just reading the way your wrote you post It doesn't seem like you have a lot of understanding or respect for him.

This is not the way you get support from those in your life.

My wife and myself went through a difficult period in the days and weeks after surgery but we discussed the issues and came to an understanding.  She had her concerns and I had mine, we learned that there were things I just would not give up on and we both had to give a little and come to a mutual understanding about what our new life would be.

Believe it or not it isn't easy for a spouse to go through this either.

Maybe stepping back for a bit and considering his concerns if you have ever really spoken about them might show you where he is coming from.

The other option is you continue to treat him this way and then ***** in a few months how you have ZERO support and have to do it all alone.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Jillychilly
on 8/20/12 4:45 pm - Marlton, NJ
RNY on 08/14/12
 This morning, he actually apologized to me for being a jackass.  I shoulda recorded that
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views