pouch

dawnie55
on 7/22/12 4:36 pm - Garden Grove, CA
how can u tell if your pouch is stretched out
Cherokeesage
on 7/22/12 4:41 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I would have an endoscope done by my surgeon. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

dawnie55
on 7/22/12 4:46 pm - Garden Grove, CA
im asking only because i had my gallbladder removed on the 12th
my pouch doesnt feel the same as it did b 4 the surgery
Mary Catherine
on 7/22/12 9:28 pm
I copied this from an old post.  It is the cottage cheese test.

So, how do you measure up? Are you accomplishing the feeling of satiety at each meal? Do you know how big your stomach pouch is? Would you like to? Nearly every patient is curious to know just exactly how big their stomach pouch is. The following technique is used by bariatric surgeons and patients to determine the functional size of a patient's stomach pouch.
The idea for this technique began with Dr. E. E. Mason, at one of the Iowa Bariatric Symposia in the early 1980's, who suggested that it might be useful to ask patients to eat cottage cheese, in a structured manner, to attempt to determine their functional meal volume at different times postoperatively.
Dr. Laytham Flanangan is known for his research and experience in developing the "Cottage Cheese Test."This test is accepted as a standardized, reproducible measurement of the physicalsize of the stomach pouch in a person who has undergone a gastric bypass procedure.
The Cottage Cheese Test
  1. Purchase a container of small curd low-fat cottage cheese.
  2. Begin the test with a full container of cottage cheese, and perform the test in the morning before eating anything else. This will be your breakfast on that day.
  3. Eat fairly quickly until you feel full (less than five minutes). Note that the small soft curds do not require much chewing. You are eating rapidly so you will fill the pouch before there is time for any food to flow out of it.
    After eating your "fill" of cottage cheese, you will be left witha partially eaten container that has empty space where cottage cheese used to be.
  4. Measure the volume of cottage cheese you have eaten by filling a two cup (16 fl.oz.) measuring cup with water. Pour water into the container of cottage cheese until the water level rises to the original top level of the cottage cheese.
  5. The amount of water poured into the container is the functional size of your pouch.
Dr. Flanagan's research indicates that the average volume of the mature stomach pouch, measured by this method, is 5.5 ounces (163 ml). Additionally, he reached the conclusion that, "sizes ranging up to 9 ounces have NO IMPACT on the person's success in weight loss". This means that unless your pouch holds a greater volume than 9 ounces (267 ml), the exact size of your pouch is not a critical factor in whether or not you can lose excess weight and then manage your weight as time progresses.  
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 28 replies · 150 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 40 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 388 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 313 views