Night time Hunger

hannan
on 6/22/12 12:02 pm - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
 I am about two and a half weeks out and I know today totally sucked in the nutrition department. I didn't have my usual protein shake, I ate fish for lunch and a hard boiled egg for dinner. I am so hungry right now, I've been enjoying a few sugar free Popsicles. Is it acceptable to have a good protein snack? How long should I wait after consuming the Popsicles before I eat something else? I don't want to eat too stretch my pouch. 

Leanne43
on 6/22/12 12:13 pm - , Canada
RNY on 06/04/12
if your hungry drink some protein drink that should take the edge off for today , make sure your getting enough protien so you feel satisfied. i've been  putting greek yogurt and frozen fruit  and protein powder in my magic bullet and drinking about half a cup when i feel hungry just make sure your not doing it too much , my dietician says in between your meals you need a protein drink or shake so your having about 5 small meals a day. hope this helps

moviechick00
on 6/22/12 12:31 pm
Revision on 05/17/12
 I am a night person and I get hungry oh at 1am...I have no clue what to eat.  I got some cheese last night that seemed to do the trick.  I really dislike that I get hungry at that time.  I was doing great going to bed and sleep by 1030...that is when I was taking pain meds.  No pain meds for me anymore so I am up and hungry...I really dislike shakes right about now.  I need to figure this whole eating thing.

hw 255 Realize band 2/10 lw 206 (slipped/moved caused lots of pain)
weight pre-op 225 revision RNY 5/17/12
hannan
on 6/22/12 12:35 pm - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
Thanks for that. It makes me feel good that I'm not the only night person who is like struggling to find something good to eat at night. It doesn't help that I have a roommate who orders pizza and makes all sorts of bad food and makes the whole house smell like my "old favorites". Night time eating has always been my issue, I don't want it to continue haunting me.

qnmimi
on 6/22/12 12:50 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I'm a nighttime eater too, am basically a night owl who works overnight shift. I just can't sleep without eating before bed, and try to have denser protein for my before bed snack. I can't have food anywhere near me, as I have awoke eating after taking my ambien....kinda scary, but as a lifelong insomniac I make do.

rbb825
on 6/22/12 3:08 pm - Suffern, NY
You dont have to wait after popsicles to have a protein shake, they are both considered liquids.  The advantage is that the shake is protein and liquid.  Popsicles are great at the beginning for getting in small amounts of liquids, moistening your mouth to avoid dehydration and they taste really good which we really need at first.    Some people even make there own with ice pop makers at Bed Bath and Beyond where you can make then out of pureed fruits like strawberries, blueberries, a variety of fruits (include banana but only banana is too much sugary) or just  but in some of the really low sugar/low calorie juices) and then add a little unflavored protein powder if you need more protein.

Price S.
on 6/22/12 9:20 pm - Mills River, NC
my plan at 2.5 weeks was for 6-8 "meals" a day.  1/4c yogurt, cottage cheese, creamed soup, protein shake, chicken salad, etc.  If you eat many small meals, wait 30 min to an hour and get your fluid in, you will be eating or drinking pretty much all the time and shouldn't be hungry at night for anything you shouldn't be eating.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

iceprincisss
on 6/23/12 6:20 am - CA
RNY on 05/30/12
Im a nightime eater to, although I think most of it is mental but I fooled my brain with a water slushie. I just blended ice and water and ate it with a spoon. My brain thought I was snacking and it was fooled!! You can also throw in a crystal light packet too for more flavor!! Good luck!!
Most Active