Why would RNY fail?

Carmen C.
on 6/11/12 1:15 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
My insurance only approved RNY NOT DS. But have been getting lots of negative talk of RNY failing. Why would it fail? I currently have a sleeve and revising to RNY due to huge complications and weight gain and my BMI still very high after some weight. Loss

The first second step was to do a DS but my insurance won't pay for it and I have been through all the appeals.

Any feedback.

I am confused.
poet_kelly
on 6/11/12 1:19 pm - OH
It would fail if patients began eating too many calories.  They could do that by eating more than the recommended amounts of food, by choosing foods high in calories, and/or by eating small amounts of food every hour or so throughout the day (grazing).

For instance, I can comfortable eat about a cup of food at a time.  I don't think it would be possible for me to eat a lot more, if I eat just a little more I have stomach pain and get nauseous, and I think I'd end up throwing it all up if I ate a lot more than a cup.  But if I was willing to have stomach pain and feel nauseous, I could eat a little more at each meal.  I can also comfortable eat food high in calories, like potato chips and sugar free cake and pizza.  If I chose to eat those foods all the time, I could easily consume too many calories.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

seattledeb
on 6/11/12 2:21 pm
 You can fail any weight loss surgery. Good ways to fail the Rny are to drink with your meals, eat carbs, don't have any movement/exercise, not get support, and think when you lost your weight to goal that you don't have to do anything any more. Other good ways to fail are to never take you vitamins and have life threatening complications. You can eat sugary carbs frequently and bypass your bypass.

I'm sorry your appeals didn't work. I think the sleeve is the first step in a DS and I'll bet the revision would be easier.

Good luck to you.
Deb T.

Adrianne_Dawn
on 6/11/12 3:28 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 I think the key to any WLS is that this is an AIDE not a to be all automatic fix. I notice that a lot of people don't get help for eating issues they have and this shows up again even after surgery.  Whether you eat out of depression, obsession, boredom, emotional, they will all still exist after surgery if you don't fix or help yourself understand why it exists.  Like the ladies above said you can also stretch your pouch by overeating.  My case manager told me a story about someone who lost then gained all his weight back and then some. 

Anyways the RNY is what you make of it. Work hard and I think it will work hard with you.  Over eat and not listen to your body and be healthy and it will only work to a certain point. 

soozieq
on 6/12/12 12:02 am
RNY doesn't fail.  The chances of someone's surgery not being done correctly are very low.  In the cases where people have gained weight back are when WE have failed our RNY... not the other way around.
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
hedrider
on 6/12/12 3:22 am - Midlothian, TX
 The RNY would fail if it were surgically performed incorrectly, or the different anastomosis sites failed.

There are multitudes of reasons however, why the PERSON who had the RNY would fail.  Noncompliance with diet and exercise is almost always the common factor.  Eat too much, eat the wrong things, eat too often, do not exercise... 

When someone is compliant, the RNY is highly effective and will not fail.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 33 replies · 278 views
What's on your Monday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 350 views
Monday Monday
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 46 views
Terrace Relaxin on Sunday
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 53 views