Time Released Tylenol

50andFabulous
on 6/9/12 8:46 am - TX
 I know that it is okay for usto take Tylenol.  I have arthritis in my neck and I was looking at the Tylenol arthritis and the box says it is time released.  Is this okay for me to take?  What other options over the counter are there for arthritis pain?

Chihuahuan
on 6/9/12 8:57 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
It should be fine.  It just might not be as effective as it won't absorb as quickly as regular Tylenol.   The whole pain thing after surgery is a quandary since the NSAIDS are off limits.  I haven't quite been able to wrangle out an answer from anyone yet but will see my primary next month and see what she says.  I don't need pain meds regularly but there are times my neck and thoracic spine are in pain and I don't know what I will do for that when it happens next. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/12 9:02 am - OH
It is ok for you to take, but the problem is that you will not absorb all of it, so you might have to take it more frequently than the box indicates.  My personal experience is that Tylenol does absolutely nothing for arthritis pain (which does not surprise me since it does not do anything for the inflammation which is the source of the pain.)  

Unfortunately, for us there is nothing else that is safe to take that is OTC.  Tramadol (Ultram) is a popular, non-opiate prescription pain reliever for arthritis, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eliza55
on 6/9/12 9:56 am - PA
You should not take more Tylenol than recommended by the dosing instructions on the package.  If it's not working, then talk to your doc about another medication for your pain.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Cherokeesage
on 6/9/12 6:24 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I use Tramadol or arthritis.  Tylenol liquid when I have the occasional headache because it seems to work faster than a pill for me.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
Recent Topics