from lap-band to RNY Question?

rhonda07
on 6/6/12 5:04 am
I had lap-band in Feb 08 and lost 90 lbs.  Kept it off until this January when the band had to be unfilled.  I gained 60 lbs.  I am scheduled for RNY July 9, 2012.  Is it true I will not lose as much weight this time even though it is the RNY?

Rhonda

poet_kelly
on 6/6/12 5:08 am - OH
Not that I know of.  Who told you that?

It does seem like people with revisions sometimes lose a bit slower than those that get RNY in the first place, but I'm not aware of the overall weight loss being any less.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

marianthelibrarian
on 6/6/12 6:27 am
I'm also converting from a lapband to RNY. My doctor told me to expect slower weight loss, but she didn't tell me that I wouldn't lose as much weight overall. I've also read some scientific articles about lapbands revised to RNY, and that wasn't mentioned there either.

Best of luck on your revision! You'll have to keep us posted on your progress!

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

Cherokeesage
on 6/6/12 8:32 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I expect it has a lot to do with age and activity as well as how much one needs to lose.  I had the conversion in February and my Dr felt I wasn't losing as much as he would like to see but I am very happy with my rate of loss.  I am 57 and not able to do aerobic exercise.  I've lost 40 pounds since 2/24 and look to lose at least another 45 more pounds. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

TamaraL
on 6/6/12 11:28 am
here is my theory.  Because most of us are light weights when we have the revision our weight loss is slower.  I have lost like 77% of my body weight and i am very happy with this.  I weigh between 150 and 155.  I have gained a little recently but its my fault.  

I do feel that  anyone that has a revision need to really work at losing the first 6 months because that is the honeymoon period.  honestly i lost about 10 pounds for the first 3 months and then started losing 1-2 pounds/week.   Very slow but i got there.  my goal was 145. I exercised from the start.  Pushed myself because i know i don't lose without exercise.   

Rules i tried to follow:

MAke sure you don't graze
Follow the dietician rules and don't push food choices because you know you can with each stage.  there is a reason for the rules.

chew your food and set timer so that it takes you 20 minutes to eat.

Tamara

Mellissa L.
on 6/7/12 1:44 am - Southgate, MI
I had band placed back in 08, but after 9 months it slipped out of position.  I had it removed in May 2011.  I'm a year past my revision and have lost 130 lbs with about 10lbs to goal.  so I think it just depends on the person.  I was warned I could have slower weight loss, but It's been pretty darn quick for me. 

H/C/G:  298/170.4/160 (H=5'5)  @ Dr's goal 5/23/2012.  Revison surgery 5/26/2011 convert from band to bypass due to slipped band. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 90 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views