Time off work after surgery

Carmen C.
on 6/5/12 7:54 am
RNY on 08/08/12
My doctors office told me 2 weeks, that doesn't seem enough time.
I have the time off of work with 90% in pay. So I want to take as much time as I can.

What's the max time I can take? 
stlfocus
on 6/5/12 8:08 am - IA
I had surgery on Monday and went back to work the following Monday.  I was tired, but it was doable.

However, if you have paid time off, I would certainly take advantage of it!

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/12 8:18 am
what your work allows. ask for three from your work and then let your doctor know
acrespin1
on 6/5/12 8:23 am
RNY on 05/16/12
My surgeon told me I could go back in a week. I'm and RN on a busy floor so I planned to take 2. I ended up calling my supervisor and asking for another 2 weeks. I was just too weak and my job is just too demanding. Plus hospital policy was I come back at 100% or not at all. I would recommend asking for at least 3 weeks!
Jilly Bean
on 6/5/12 9:00 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
 I'm taking off 3 weeks.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Chihuahuan
on 6/5/12 10:24 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
 I actually returned to work today.  I had laproscopic surgery and 2 weeks to the day later was able to travel to NYC for a pre-planned trip.  I was a bit slower in walking than normal but had no problems at all going up and down Manhattan and going to Broadway shows  or such activities.  Everyone will be different though.  I could have easily went back to work at the time but I have a very sedentary desk job.    The best part about being off of work is the eating requirements.  My surgeon instructed me to have pureed food for two weeks and it was much easier to eat every 1.5 hours, pureeing food at home than it would have been at work. 

MaleNurse78
on 6/5/12 10:34 am - Bossier City , LA
 Had my surgery on a Monday and returned to work the following Monday, but did do some work from home the Friday after surgery. I didnt have any problems other than being very tired at the end of the day. But everyone is different. I stopped taking pain meds the day I left the hospital and have really not had any major pain, just had some muscle aches like after a hard ab workout. But again everyone is different, take the time that you really need, but remember the longer you are out the harder it is to get back into your routine and the more you dont want to go back. 

poet_kelly
on 6/5/12 11:49 am - OH
The max time you can take is however much your doc will say you need to take and/or however much your employer will allow you to take before you lose your job.

If you qualify for FMLA, you can take up to 12 weeks if your doc will say it's medically necessary.

Most people seem to need two to four weeks, unless they have complications.  I ended up being off almost three months.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BeccaM76
on 6/5/12 3:15 pm
I took 3 weeks off.  I felt like I was able to work after 2, but I really wanted to get my food/liquid intake on a good schedule before I went to work.  I work in a hospital, but luckily I get to have light duty for 2 weeks.
Want2beabettermom
on 6/5/12 11:45 pm
My doc is recommending 4-6 weeks even though I have an office job.  He wants me to be able to get through the puree stage before I go back to work, and to be able to get into an excercise routine before I go back.  Good luck!
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 10 replies · 60 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 292 views
What's on your Monday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 352 views
Monday Monday
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 48 views