Zissen Pesach!

hlacy
on 4/6/12 4:07 pm - Chandler, AZ
I am almost eight months out and attended my first Seder in years tonight! Such fun and no problems eatIng! 
I did sips of wine instead of glasses. I had just a bit of matzoh. The charoset was fine since I don't dump, but still went easy on it. Lots of gefilte fish, horseradish, parsley, sal****er and a hard boiled egg less the yolk. Finally had a half a baked skinless chicken breast and some steamed veggies for my meal and a bite size macaroon to poli**** off. Thank goodness for small portions and a several hour meal!

Zissen Pesach everyone :)
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

sidsid
on 4/7/12 12:34 am
 Great to hear, 
I have RNY booked late May, normal seder last night but tell me about the dumping is it mainly with sweet foods? glad you dont get it hope I dont.
I have been wondering how one eats dry foods like toast or matza without drinking, it would never make it past one's mouth LOL.
Any words of wisdom for me? 
What out Yom Kippur can we make it 26 hours without anything? eeeek
Chag Sameach ! 
hlacy
on 4/7/12 3:31 am - Chandler, AZ
Dumping results from sugar by definition, though I have been known to have similar symptoms to dumping from fats. Dry foods, well chewed, seem to do better for RNYers because they are less likely to get gummy and stuck. 

For Yom Kuppur, health is always first over mitzvot. If my math is right you'll be about three and a half months out by then. Fast from food will be easy, but no****er, we need water. Talk to your Rabbi about it. My opinion (for what its worth) would be to have a good protein and complex carb dense meal the night before (which should be every meal for us) and consider fasting if you can but drink water during the fast to stay hydrated. I am not sure if vitamins are excluded from the fast - but we need those, too. 

Chag Sameach to you too! 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

fatfreemama
on 4/7/12 5:20 am - San Jose, CA
 I'm over two years out now.  Health comes first.  I'll fast on Yom Kippur but still drink water and take all my vitamins.  You can be short on protein for one day if you're getting it all in, but you won't be that far out and are still healing, and your body needs protein to heal.  So I would take your vitamins, drink water and have protein shakes for Yom Kippur this year.  

I like whole wheat matzoh and don't have any problem eating it.  To add protein, put it on a plate, put some low fat cheddar slices on it and microwave it until the cheese melts.  Yummy.  With whole wheat toast, I like eggs over easy or poached eggs on top, can do the same with matzoh.

Chag Sameach!
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

fatfreemama
on 4/7/12 5:23 am - San Jose, CA
Sounds like you did great. I haven't had any alcohol since surgery unless you count a tongue taste of wine on Shabbot, but last night I decided to try a sip of wine during the Seder. Oh boy, I felt it instantly. So no 4 cups of wine for me.

You did great. I'm over two years out now and TOM started yesterday which enables me to have a lot more than normal in the sugar department. So I indulged a little too much last night. Tonight I'll be more careful.

Happy Passover!
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

happy_baker
on 4/7/12 7:54 am
RNY on 02/15/12
Chag Sameach! I hope you have a meaningful Pesach.

I held first Seder last night. It was SO much fun. The whole meal was vegetarian/dairy. I had a few bites of spinach quiche, matzoh lasagna, roasted beets and sweet potatoes, israeli carrots, matzo ball soup (mm!).

And then I dumped on dessert. Ack. But it was worth it. SO delicious.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
rbb825
on 4/7/12 3:31 pm, edited 4/7/12 3:34 am - Suffern, NY
wow, your meal sounds so much better than mine was. Matzoh lasagna ? never heard of it but sounds great - I Love sweet potatoes and I am not sure why but they didnt serve matzo ball soup at my seder - to me that is the best part.

I guess I can't complain - the local temple has a seder for people that have no where to go, so that is where a couple of my friends and I go. It is very nice but not like I am used to from when I grew up. But I am thankful I had where to go

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 377 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 376 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 215 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics