how do u maintain

dawnie55
on 3/17/12 2:11 pm - Garden Grove, CA
THANK U FOR REPLYING BACK...IT GIVES ME SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT THANK U AGAIN
Mary Catherine
on 3/18/12 12:58 am
 I was pretty much a lightweight too.  I am 5'2" and weighed 176 when my doctor suggested RNY as a way to put type 2 diabetes into remission.  I fought what seemed a crazy idea for 10 years.  Ten years on insulin got me to 206 and surgery.

I now maintain my goal of 136.  

Here is what I currently think about maintenance. Maintenance does not start until about month 30.  It is necessary to go through a period of being too skinny.  My too skinny was 128.  Bounceback for me started at 30 months and was rapid.  It was almost two years before I got good control again.

I weigh myself everyday.  I don't count calories, protein grams, fat grams, etc. I just go by the scale and how I feel.  I try for two hours exercise most days.  I feel good, look pretty good in my size 4 jeans, and have never been hungry again since surgery.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/18/12 1:44 am - OH
I know you are specifically responding to a concern about losing too much weight, but  FYI, many people never get to goal let alone "too skinny"... 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 3/18/12 3:26 am - OH
I'm confused.  Or maybe you are just talking about your own experience.

Why do you say maintenance does not start until month 30?  I hit my lowest weight and began maintaining at 18 months.

And why do you say it is necessary to go through a period of being too skinny?  I never went through a period of being too skinny and I know many, many people that never got too skinny.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 3/18/12 3:36 am
 I guess I don't think you are really in maintenance until the honeymoon period is completely over and the body starts to bounceback from the surgery.  For me that was at 30 months. Before 30 months I maintained effortlessly.

Then the scale started moving upward and I realized that for me the party was over.  That was when I feel maintaining really began for me. The maintaining I was doing at 18 months did not matter because I stayed at the same weight or lost no matter what I ate.  

You are right about everyone not getting too skinny and I need to clarify that.  If you continue to lose until you are 20 or 30 pounds below your goal weight, then you are probably going to look like a bag of bones with skin stretched over it.  But even if you don't go that low, many people look too skinny after a rapid weight loss.  It just takes time for the face and body to fill out a bit.

Losing to way below goal gives a good cushion for bounceback regain.  Not everyone can manage to do that.  For very lightweights and I was 195 on surgery day, it is pretty easy to get to below goal and a create a cushion for any bounceback regain.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 196 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 46 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 397 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 314 views