how do u maintain

dawnie55
on 3/17/12 12:55 pm - Garden Grove, CA
HOW DO U MAINTAIN YR WEIGHT , I HAVE LOST 46 POUNDS
I DONT WANT TO LOOK TO SKINNY,,I MIGHT WANT TO LOSE
ANOTHER 12 POUNDS...NEED IDEAS ON MAINTAINING
poet_kelly
on 3/17/12 12:59 pm - OH
You eat the number of calories it takes to maintain, no more, no less.  It might take some trial and error to figure that number out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dawnie55
on 3/17/12 1:03 pm - Garden Grove, CA
THANK U
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/17/12 1:06 pm - OH
 Just curious... If you only needed to lose less than 60 pounds why did you go to the extreme of having a RNY?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 3/17/12 1:13 pm - OH
I was wondering that too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SarinaHaas
on 3/17/12 1:13 pm - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
Was wondering that as well!
Ladytazz
on 3/17/12 1:23 pm
From the look of her profile it looks like she started heavier and most likely lost a bunch during the 6 month supervised diet period.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

dawnie55
on 3/17/12 1:37 pm, edited 3/17/12 1:45 pm - Garden Grove, CA
TO EVERYONES QUESTION..I WAS HEAVY I STARTED THIS PROCESS WEIGHTING 228 I KNOW THAT'S NOT ALOT TO SOME PEOPLE..BUT IT WAS FOR ME,,I COULDN'T GET THE WEIGHT OFF BY MYSELF PLUS I HAD HEALTH ISSUES..AND MY HEALTH INS. APPROVED MY SURGERY..MY GOAL IS TO WEIGH 155 ....IF I MEET MY GOAL AT 155 I WOULD HAVE LOST 73 POUNDS ..THE THING IS I DON'T WANT TO LOOK TO SKINNY...I'M LOSING WEIGHT AT A GOOD RATE..ON MARCH 21ST IT WILL BE 4 MONTHS FOR ME .

AS I HAD SAID ..THAT I MIGHT WANT TO LOSE ANOTHER 12 POUNDS....I JUST WANTED IDEAS ON HOW TO MAINTAIN THE WEIGHT LOSE
Lady Lithia
on 3/17/12 1:52 pm, edited 3/17/12 4:01 pm
Plan that you will regain a certain percentage. Understand that your low weight is likely not going to stick, so don't worry too much if you lose past your goal.

Eventually, as you lose weight, your body requires fewer calories to exist, because just breathing for a 24 hour period requires a certain number of calories. Add in activities, and your body requires more calories. As a LARGE person, your body required MORE calories to keep all those cells fed. But a small you requires fewer calories.

In a way, we start off by eating less calories than we will in maintenance. as we shrink, and as our pouch matures, we consume more calories until we get to the number of calories that we will generally eat from that day forward. Often we get to that calorie load before we reach goal. But we reach goal because the calories we are consuming are the maintenance level for a person of XYZ weight, and so long as we weigh more, we continue to lose.

Often we lose a bit more than we intend and then bounce back, because for some the target weight isn't reached as a finely honed goal. We might -- if we get too small -- increase the calorie load marginally. Eventually you'll find your balance point... the number of calories needed to maintain your body at the weight you want. For some folks this is a difficult period, to adjust everything to a finely tuned point is difficult. Also our activity levels vary, and if we significantly change our activity levels (more or less) then if our calories don't adjust to factor that in, we either gain (if we have less activity but don't cut down calories) or we lose (if we have more activity).

I've seen a LOT of people on here worrying about weighing too little (I was one of them).... but except for the rare situation when a person drops excessively low, most of those individuals end up bouncing back to a weight that is perhaps a bit higher than they wanted. In the time I've been on here, I see more folks worry about losing too much who ultimately end up higher than they want, compared to those *****ally SHOULD worry about losing too much.

For myself, I could tell when I was at goal that as desperately as I wanted to make goal, it wasn't teh right weight for me. When I got to 8 below goal, I was skeletal, and I KNEW it was too little. But I think that when I began to worry at that point, is when I responded by going a bit overboard. I think, if I had not worried about the weight loss being too much, I might have bounced back to a better weight than I am at today. Right now I'm about 8 pounds over what I consider optimum. I think if I didn't freak out at 146, I wouldn't be quite so hgh now. And my story is one I've seen a LOT.

There are SOME rare few who lose lose lose and get down to BMIs in the teens or lower, and of course if you get to an insanely low BMI you HAVE to work to do something about it. But don't worry too soon, I would think.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

dasie
on 3/17/12 8:45 pm
So true!!!  I hit my goal weight once, maybe twice, and I immediately bounced up.  I have done that with each and every diet I have ever been on.  It  is like my brain says, "Oh....you did it," and then the weight starts climbing again.  For me, this time, I am not so fixated on the number as much as breaking that habit and mindset of reaching my goal then throwing in the towel. My bounce back means different things to me...what, I am still trying to figure out.  How I wish I had lost beyond my goal in order to allow for the bounce back.  It is not a lot of weight...but it always feels like sabotage to me.  I've always wondered about those who post they are losing too much and how they do long term in maintenance - how their bodies adjust to maintenance.  Good info in your comments.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 28 replies · 167 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 43 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 397 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 314 views