Kashi Go Lean Bar need advice

50andFabulous
on 2/27/12 11:00 pm - TX
Has anyone tried the Kashi Go Lean Bars?  I tried them the other day and I really like them.  I tried the peanut butter malted crisp and the caramel peanut roll.   Here are the values on them.  Please tell me what you think.  I haven't found any protein bars that I can stand, but these two were pretty tasty to me.  Not sure if they would qualify as a protein bar or not - please advise:

Chocalate Malted Crisp -  1 bar = 190 caloried  Fat calories = 40
Total Fat - 4.5g    7%                    Sodium 120 mg   5%          Sugars 18g 
Sat Fat - 3.5g     18%                    Potassium 130mg   4%      Protein 12g      14%
Cholesterol 0%                              Total Carb  31g   10%       Fiber 5g   20%

Caramel Peanut -    1 bar = 190 calories  Fat Calories = 45
Total Fat - 5g  8%                        Choletsterol  0%                 Soluble Fiber   3g
Sat. Fat - 1.5g                              Sodium    220mg  9%          Insoluble Fiber 3g
Trans Fat  0g                               Potassium  90g    3%           Sugars 14g
Polyunsat Fat 2g                          Total Carbs 27g  9%           Protein 12g    20%
Monounsat Fat  1.5g                    Fiber 6g       26%

I'm just trying to figure if this is something that I can eat when I feel like I need a snack or should I just completely stay away from it.  What do you all think?

erichardy
on 2/27/12 11:12 pm - Greenwood, IN
Only an opinion, but the carbs and sugars seem a bit high and not enough fiber to off-set them. I love the Quest Protein bars, have you tried them?

jazzycatz
on 2/27/12 11:29 pm - Joppa, MD
Meh.  I am with the previous poster with the carbs being on the high side and sugar heavy.  But on the other hand it also depends on what you are using them for and what you personal nutrition needs are. 

If you are looking at them as the occasional snack then you could do much worse.  If you are looking at them as a protein source then they are not so impressive. 

I have to keep pretty strict control of my carb intake.  Sucks sometimes.  So if I were looking for a snack this wouldn't be my top choice.  Kinda pricey for not much protein.  You can probably find a cheaper snack you like just as well with numbers that are realitively the same.  Like the Snackwell protein bars. 

hedrider
on 2/28/12 2:28 am - Midlothian, TX

For me - there is not enough protein to offset the calories.  I shoot for a 10% ratio, so this bar would need at minumum 19 grams.  The sugar and carbs are way too high for me as well.  Where does sugar fall in the ingredients?

IMO "mainstream" brands that try to put out a protein bar are just looking to make something yummy for people to feel good about.  They don't make the best protein bars.  This are more like candy to me than a protein bar, so I wouldn't eat them.

However, if you can tolerate the carbs and sugars, and you NEED the protein (cant get enough from any other sources) then something is always better than nothing!

Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Mia H.
on 2/28/12 10:20 am - OH
 Too much sugar for me.  I second the Quest bars. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views