bypass 9 yrs out, and back where I started

LoriN76
on 2/23/12 6:35 am
 Hi everybody.  I'm glad i found this website but dont know where i belong.  i mean everybody just had their surgerys here it seems so is there another place i could write this?   i had my bypass 9 years ago and have gained all my weight back.  I feel so horrible and dont know how to get back to losing again.  We've just moved across the country so i cant visit my doctor and I don't have a family doctor here yet.    Any ideas on where to start and get me losing again?  is there some special diet i can try?
Lori
Heidi T.
on 2/23/12 9:52 am
RNY on 01/31/12
 Maybe try the post op diet: 60-80 grams of protein
64+oz of fluid
400-600 calories a day

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
myminime
on 2/23/12 10:13 am - Eugene, OR
There are a number of people here that are further out, and some that are dealing with post-surgery regain, so you're not alone!

There are other sub-forums you can check out if you'd like, but this particular board is pretty active and you'll get lots of advice from people further out.

IMO - restricting yourself to 400-600 calories is a bit aggressive, you'll put yourself into starvation mode. However, the protein first advice is spot on!

Just my two cents (as a professional dieter)
Cut out all your simple carbs, increase your fluids and be sure you are taking your vitamins. Start tracking your food in some type of journal - either on paper or online. I use MyFitnessPal personally, but there are a ton of options.

You may want to try the average 1200-1500 calorie a day target - with focus on proteins, fruits and veggies and complex carbs if there's still room.

Also, they do surgery on our stomachs, and unfortunately, not on our brains You may want to look into what caused the regain. Are you eating for comfort? For stress? Are there food addictions that need to be addressed? Therapists are awesome, there are some great books about dealing with these issues as well.

Good luck on your continued journey! I hope this helps.
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/23/12 10:28 am - OH
 The are a number of us here who had surgery a few years ago (I will be 5 years out in August).There is a special forum for WLS "graduates", but there isn't much traffic on it.

Rather than trying some kind of "special diet", I would suggest going back to basics in terms of how you should have been eating all along... Protein first at every meal, limited carbs, NO "white" foods (pasta, white rice, crackers, etc.), lots of water but no drinking with (or right after) meals.  Tracking and measuring your food, at least for a while, will give you a better handle on how many calories you are eating and whether your portion sizes have gotten too big (both have a way of creeping up on us!).  Do you know how much protein you are getting each day?  How many calories?  How many carbs?

Increasing your non-caloric fluid intake and exercise will also help, of course.  Have you identified the things that caused you to regain the weight in the first place and figured out a way to address those things?  You will definitely need to do that.  Too much food?  Wrong food choices? Drinking with meals?  Drinking calories?  Reverting to old dysfunctional eating patterns (eating for comfort, eating when stressed or lonely, etc.)?  

The weight will come off very slowly since your caloric malabsorption is now long gone, but going back to basic will reinforce healthy eating patterns rather than "dieting" (which always eventually fails because we always stop the "diet" eventually).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 2/23/12 11:06 am
Hi Lori, I agree with what Lora said.  Back to post-op rules.....protein first ALWAYS then complex carbs if you have room for them.  Also at least 64 oz of water per day, take all your supplements and no drinking 30 minutes after a meal, start walking at a minimum 30 minutes per day.

I suggest you use fitday.com or sparkpeople.com to track your intake.  Do you still feel restriction? 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Barb H.
on 2/23/12 11:43 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I really don't have anything more to add because it has been well covered, but I would like to offer my support. I'm really glad you found this site because you will find lots of support here. All the best to you!
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

animal02
on 2/24/12 1:55 am
Welcome---just want you to know that we all need help once in a while and it's not too late.   One of the forums here is Back OnTrack Together at www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/discussion/
you may want to check that fourm out---it is for those who have slipped and started to put weight back on.  Good luck!  
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 28 replies · 150 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 40 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 388 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 313 views