gained 70lbs after 4yrs out

jen101us
on 1/8/12 4:53 am - Temple City, CA
hello.  i'm very unhappy with myself.  after 4 years of having my weight loss surgery I have gained 70lbs back.  not happy with that.  i need some support from you all if possible and some tips on how to get back down to 160lbs where i was happy.  if ou have any suggestions on how to jumpstart the weight loss and tips on how to keep it off this time i'd greatly appreciate it.  thanks to you all and happy new year.
poet_kelly
on 1/8/12 4:57 am - OH
Can you tell us what you've been doing?  What are you eating?  How much protein?  How many calories?  Are you getting much exercise?  What do you think caused you to regain?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jen101us
on 1/8/12 5:06 am - Temple City, CA
to be honest with myself and you all i have not been exercising.  i lost my job in 2010 and became depressed but did get treatment for.  i spoke to my surgeon's dietician and she told me i'm getting enough protein in my diet.  i'm eating a lot of chicken and turkey, tofu, edamame, tuna, salmon, sushi w/out soy sauce, drinking a lot of water.  i don't know the calories.  what i'm looking for are eating and exercise tips to help jumpstart my weight loss.  thank you for your response.
poet_kelly
on 1/8/12 5:26 am - OH
Well, are you eating really large portions?  Because those are not the things people typically gain weight on.  I guess I'd start by counting calories for a few days to get an idea where you stand.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/12 5:09 am - OH
Your best bet for getting the weight off and keeping it off this time is to go back to the basics... eating the way you were during that first year post-op: a protein heavy, limited processed carb diet with lots of water except during or right after meals.  Sonce yiu are so far out, it may also help to measure your portions and track your food again for a while so you can be sure that you are not eating too much.  I am 4.5 years out and I know that if I ate until I was completely full at each meal, I would be eating too much.  

Look honestly at what you have been eating and how much.  Have you been getting enough protein in?  Have you been eating too many carbs?  Too much snacking?  Grazing? Drinking with meals?  It is important to know where you have been off track if you want to get the weight back off and keep it off.  Knowing what you have been doing that caused the regain will show you what you need to remedy and avoid in the future.

I know that someone will suggest going back to protein shakes for a while or the so-called 5 Day Pouch Test in order to jump start the weight loss, but that will only reinforce the old diet mentality, when what you need to reinforce is the new healthy habits that you will have to stick to in order to maintain the weight loss. (You already know that regain is very real and very easy after a few years.). I have a 5-pound gain threshold... when my weight creeps up 5 pounds, I increase my protein a hit and cut out all the non-dairy, non-fruit, and non-veggie carbs, and increase my fluid intake and usually within 2 weeks or so, the 5 pounds are back off.

Moving your body more will obviously help as well.

You can do this!

lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jen101us
on 1/8/12 5:14 am - Temple City, CA
you are so supportive and extreamly helpful!  thank you so much for your reply.  i've been feeling a bit defeated lately because of the weigh gain but i really appreciate your post.  thank you. :)
severman
on 1/8/12 5:15 am - Indianapolis, IN
I am 9 years post op RNY.  I regained 90 of the 140 I lost due to steroids and poor eating choices.  I have been able to get all but about 30 pounds back off.  I would start by going back to the basics.  It sounds like you are eating the right amount of protein.  I would keep a journal to see exactly what you are eating, how much, the time you eat, and what you are feeling when eating.  Also record where you are when you are eating.  You might be surprised at what you find out.  I would also start keeping track of how much water you are drinking and make sure that you are not drinking within 30 minutes before or after your meal.  And most importantly I would start exercising again.  You don't have to run out and join a gym.  You could start slowly.  Take a short walk after each meal.  The time will add up and you will feel better.  Hope this helps.  Keep posting if you ever need more support.  You might try and join the group called back on track.

Stephanie E
jen101us
on 1/8/12 5:19 am - Temple City, CA
wow thank you so much for posting.  so many helpful responses and reasonable as well.  thank you for responding.  you make it sound attainable, the weight loss.  thank you :)
Sheila2813
on 1/8/12 5:25 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 02/14/12

I haven't had my surgery yet but I can understand what you are going through, I have always struggled with my weight at one point I was able to grab a hold and I lost over 100lbs, with no surgery, pills, etc. Just eating healthy, working out consistently. However in 2008, I also lost my job and became very depressed and the weight just came back with a vengeance, I am now heavier than I have been in my whole life.

I think the best thing we can do for ourselves is always be health conscious and be active and once we reach our goal weight do what Lora mentioned in the earlier post, if we gain 5 pounds, make sure we bunker down and go back to the basics. Always being vigilant of our weight gain and trying to keep control. At least that is the plan that I hope to have moving forward for a lifetime of being healthy.

I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure you can do it!

Sheila
Sheila        
hatda
on 1/8/12 5:37 am - Northern (Sacramento area), CA

Hello.  I will be 4 years out this month.  We are here to support you.  THIS IS A LIFE LONG JOURNEY...and we all understand that.

I think the suggestions of getting back to basics is the key.  Did you keep food journals back then?  If so, go back to those journals and start eating that way again.

It's not only that you are eting the right things; but how often.  Go back to your 5-6 meals per day to keep that matabolism back up.  Start at the beginning with a exercise routine....THIS IS ALSO KEY.  You NEED water as well.

Please send me a friend request so we can support each other.  I am also in the process of kick starting this process....so would love to fight this fight together.

Good luck to you 

PEACE,   Harriet

I'M NOT FEARFUL OF TRAVELING THE PATH OF THE UNKNOWN...BECAUSE I DEPEND ON GOD TO GUIDE MY FOOTSTEPS.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views