Is Peanut Dressing good for us

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/7/12 9:28 am - OH
If a serving is a tablespoon, then, yes, I would consider 14g of fat to be way too much.  (Have you seen the size of a tablespoon of salad dressing?!? It is EASILY consumable by us even if we are paying attention to how much we are eating.)

I guess my question is why you would prefer high fat over something with just a few grams of carbs?

Everyone has to choose how much fat and how many carbs and calories they are going to consume, so I am not trying to say there is a "right" or "wrong" to this.  I am just surprised that, from a nutitional standpoint, you would prefer high fat to a few carbs.  Now if you say you prefer it based on taste, that is another matter entirely.  :)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lisa R.
on 1/8/12 12:40 am - CA
 I put my dressing on the side and dip my salad into it.  So, yes, I know what a tablespoon looks like.  I measure mostly everything I eat.

I do prefer the taste of the reg dressing, and I know you have said that you don't eat things that you don't like.  But my doctor also said not to worry as much about fat as carbs.  I'm sure he didn't mean eat as much fat as you want, he knows I am not a idiot when it comes to diet.  

Consuming a bit a fat each day, in moderation, is actually good for us.  I feel, personally, that some people get a little hung up on the numbers of food rather then learning to live in moderation.

If I tell myself, "I can not have that" I will want it even more.  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/12 2:16 am - OH
I definitely agree about people getting excessively focused on numbers (but that applies equally to carbs, fat, and calories) rather than focusing on eating a well-rounded, healthy diet.  

Yes, we need some fat.  I added nuts as one of my protein snacks when I was about 6 months out because I was not getting enough fat and my hair and skin were dry and I was having a terrible time with constipation.  I personally choose to avoid fats in salad dressings and such... but I do occasionally have a very small amount of Haagen Dazs strawberry ice cream (which is full/fat, full-sugar, of course).   It is all about finding an approach to eating that works for us as individuals.

Lora

Lisa R.
on 1/8/12 6:17 am - CA
 Oh yes!  And it is you vets on this board who have taught me that since this surgery.  Pre surgery I felt every time I ate anything that was not "on my plan" I was cheating and I would shame myself.  Now I never have that "cheated" feeling. I eat what I want, with in reason, I set some simple rules for myself that I can live by and I adjust when needed.  I thank you and all the vets here on this board for helping me learn to make this a life style and to be OK with eating full fat dressing if that is what I want because to force myself to eat things that taste like crap to me is a way a life that will fail for me in the end.  As I think it will for most people.

So poster!  Eat that salad and that dressing, just use your head and listen to your body!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/7/12 6:34 am - OH
 The peanut dressing could be reasonable or it could be VERY high in fat and calories!  Was there no label with nutritional info? There is a Thai peanut dressing that my former partner loved, but it was over 100 calories and around 25g of fat per tablespoon!

Lora

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 195 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 46 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 397 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 314 views