Thinning Hair - Ovation Cell Therapy does it work?

roogirlmulder
on 12/7/11 4:09 am - San Diego, CA

I've hit the time where my hair is starting to thin out. I don't like it, but I'm handling it as best as I can.

Thankfully, I naturally have an extremely thick and long head of hair, so I could use a little thinning to prevent those afternoon headaches after having my hair in a pony tail all day.

I was curious if anyone ever tried the Ovation Cell Therapy hair products. I've seen them advertised, and checked it out online, but it's 96 dollars and I can't justify spending that right now without hearing from someone who has first hand experience with using it.

I am also taking Biotin, but fromwhat I understand that promotes hair regrowth rather than helping in prevent the thinning. Is it a losing battle? Is there nothing I can really do about the thinning and should I just deal with it?

And finally, did many of you cut your hair after the thinning started? My hair is layered to the extreme with the shorter parts around shoulder length and the longer parts almost down to my bum. I'm wondering if I should cut it, and if it will help any.

And one more thought (sorry, it just popped into my head). If my hair is thinning, am I okay to still color it or will coloring make it worse? I have some serious stress gray that needs to be worked on!

Sian
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it."
Surgery Date 8/25/2011
Highest Weight 310lbs - Current Weight 154lbs - Goal Weight 175lbs

Dave Chambers
on 12/7/11 4:34 am - Mira Loma, CA
It won't prevent hair loss, but will likely make your hair more maneagable during the process. But it's not cheap. Several women in my support groups use a product made by Ovations, and it's called MegaTek. It's a cream rinse for grooming horse mane and tails.  It's about 1/3 the cost of Ovations. It's at feed stores for large animals, about 1/3 the cost of Ovations. Biotin won't prevent hair loss either.  Hair loss varies between patiens--some have virtually none and the other extreme is a lot of hair loss.  Google inositol (a B vitamins group supplement) and hair loss. You'll find multiple articles on this.  Inositol is in most vitamins, usually 100mg levels, along with choline at the same level. This is considered a standard RDA dosage. But at higher dosages, it has many additional benefts--including preventing hair loss. Shortages of inositol will lead to hair loss, more depression, etc.  Suggested dosages are at around 500mg per day--it's best to take inositol and choline together.  READ the labels carefully . I've looked and my labels say 500mg inositol/choline, but these are actually 250 of each. But some are the 500mg of both that is better.  This issue was researched by my surgeon's nurse after a post op remarked about her mom's experience. Her mom was undergoing some chemotherapy and suffered a lot of hair loss. Her doc told her to try the inositol, and her daughter said her mom's hair look drastically better within 2 months.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

roogirlmulder
on 12/7/11 6:53 am - San Diego, CA
Thanks Dave, I'll check out the MegaTek and also the inositl/choline. My thinning is not to the extremely, but it's a little overwhelming when I see how much can come out in one brushing. I'm pushing to increase my protein over 80g per day, and up into the 100's. I'm hoping that may help a little too.

Thanks for sharing your info =)

Sian
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it."
Surgery Date 8/25/2011

Dave Chambers
on 12/7/11 10:11 am - Mira Loma, CA
If your surgery date is correct, you're only about 14 weeks post op. Hair loss starts around 3 months and may last unil 8 or 9 months post op.  Starting a hair supplement and treatment regimine now is better than waiting until you've had major hair loss.  Use your own good shampoo, as there is no need to use the Eqyss shampoo, just use the MegaTek cream rinse as per instructions.  Hair loss varies with each patient. FYI, you'll likely grow the vast majority of your hair back in coming months, BUT, if you have a tummy tuck, body lift, breast augmentation, etc. that's another surgery, and hair loss may be an issue again.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.

roogirlmulder
on 12/7/11 10:47 am - San Diego, CA
Yes, surgery date is correct and hair thinning started right on cue around the 12 week-3 month mark.
I won't be looking for any plastic work for quite a while, so I definitely hope my hair fills back out by then!
Thanks again Dave. I have an equine store (quite a few actually), near by. I'm definitely going to check into the MegaTek.

Sian
Surgery Date 8/25/2011

Dave Chambers
on 12/7/11 11:44 am - Mira Loma, CA
I was just point out that another surgery could result in similar hair loss. One woman in one of my support groups had major hair loss after her RNY. It grew back, and she had a lower body lift around 19 months post op. Guess what? Hair loss was substantial again. DAVE

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 12:22 pm, edited 12/7/11 12:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
I don't have hair thinning issues, but I use MegaTek on my daughter and I and I take vitamin E pills. We actually have issues with hair being so to thick. MegaTek WORKS!!!

Below are pictures of my daughter's hair. We use MegaTek faithfully... She was 4 years old at the time of these pictures.

Images were so big so here are the links:

Picture 1

Picture 2

roogirlmulder
on 12/7/11 12:32 pm - San Diego, CA
Oh my gosh, that is a whole lotta hair!!

Definitely going to go check the stuff out tomorrow. =)

Sian
Surgery Date 8/25/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics