What do you think?

crthorn
on 12/4/11 5:20 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/27/12
I'd first like to thank everyone for being so responsive to questions on this board. I've read lots of informations but OH posts have been the most helpful during this journey.

I just finished the six month diet requirement and all the other appointments that needed to be completed before proceeding with insurance approval. I originally wanted to get the VSG instead of the RNY but I'm starting to think the RNY is the best option for me. I was told the VSG usually help people lose 40-50 % of excess weight. Well, that probably just won't be enough for me. My question is that if you had 140+lbs to lose, which option would you pick/recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
lilbear412
on 12/4/11 5:27 am - MN
 Well at first i was gung ho on getting the lapband..then they told me i had to much to lose, the lapband wasn't all it was cracked up to be and i would have to work really really hard and might only lose 1/2 of my excess weight.  so i decided no way. then i decided the vsg but insurance wouldn't cover it and the one thing i didn't like was that there isn't much research on it yet..so i was forced to get the RNY.  And am i glad i did.  wow i was soooo worried and scared i would be sick all the time but in reality there are only a small amount who are actually sick and have problems after RNY.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

missjann
on 12/4/11 5:49 am
Since you're on the RNY forum, I'm betting you'll have primarily folks who favor
the RNY.  Perhaps you should post on the VSG site as well to have folks there
tell you about their experience.  Good luck with your decision.
    Jan

poet_kelly
on 12/4/11 6:25 am - OH
I don't think I would decide just based on how much I had to lose.

Consider:  Do you need to lose as fast as possible?  Not sure why you would, but you'll probably lose faster with RNY.  Are you good about taking vitamins regularly?  You'll have to take more of them with RNY, though sleevers need to take some too.  Do you use NSAIDS often?  Or think you might some day?  If that's the case, I'd go with VSG.  But do you have GERD?  Or diabetes?  If so, I'd go with RNY.

You gotta consider the whole picture.

I think sleevers usually lose more than 40-50% of their excess weight, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

debgore
on 12/4/11 7:39 am
Hi,
Hopefully this will help you.  When I went to my seminar for WLS, the doctor advised if you cannot control your liquid sweets then the lap band or sleeve is not for you and you will not loose the weight.  So, I went for the RNY.

Take Care,

Deb

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 388 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 253 views
What?s on tap for your Sunday?