Colace - do you use liquid or gel caps or another form

HappyMango
on 10/24/11 12:38 pm - FL
What form of colace (or the generic) do you use?  The liquid form is killing my throat.

My surgeon wants me taking a stool softener as long as I'm on pain meds but I'm noticing a trend in RNY'ers also have issues with constipation so figured it's not a bad thing to have on hand anyhow.

Thanks in advance for any help!

jkay05
on 10/24/11 1:00 pm
They have the liq version? I was in Walmart earlier and they didnt have it as an option so I got the little gell caps.

HappyMango
on 10/24/11 10:41 pm - FL
My hospital has a pharmacy in it and that's where I got this but she said you can get the liquid OTC anywhere.  Here is what I have:

Docusate Sodium Liquid
50mg/5ml

(then it states "Compare to the active ingredients in "Colace" liquid)
Made by PAI Pharmaceutical Associates, Inc, Greenville, SC

It burns your throat though and states to take with fruit juice or milk but the taste to mix it with those seems UNREAL. 

I don't reccomend the liquid if the gel caps work but you can check directly with your pharmacist and it may be something they can order.  Min was only $6.23 for a big bottle of 16fl oz.

Dave Chambers
on 10/24/11 1:19 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Never used a liquid, but I do use a generic capsule form of stool softener daily. Never seen a liquid one. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

hlacy
on 10/24/11 2:58 pm - Chandler, AZ
I get the generic gel tabs at whatever store I am at. I have never found Colace or generic tablets - only PeriColace.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

HappyMango
on 10/24/11 10:43 pm - FL
My hospital has a pharmacy in it and that's where I got this but she said you can get the liquid OTC anywhere. Here is what I have:

Docusate Sodium Liquid
50mg/5ml

(then it states "Compare to the active ingredients in "Colace" liquid)
Made by PAI Pharmaceutical Associates, Inc, Greenville, SC

It burns your throat though and states to take with fruit juice or milk but the taste to mix it with those seems UNREAL.

I don't reccomend the liquid if the gel caps work but you can check directly with your pharmacist and it may be something they can order. Min was only $6.23 for a big bottle of 16fl oz.

Mainly I was asking if anyone who has HAD the rny had success with the gel caps and how far out did you start using them?  Like would the gel caps be OK for a week out post op.  I have a call in to the surgeon to ask other questions and will ask them too but thought I'd see what a concesus of opinion was here while waiting to talk to them.

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 10:47 pm
I use the little gel caps and they seem to work fine.  I buy them online from Amazon... I get the generic Docusate Sodium 100mg gelcaps by Member's Mark.  It's WAY cheaper buying like this instead of the little bottles from Walmart or a pharmacy... I got a big bottle of 400 for less than $20.00.  Highly recommended....

tori
HappyMango
on 10/24/11 10:50 pm - FL
Thank you Tori!!
That's the answer I wanted to hear...  :) 
Or if it were a bad review that would be OK too.  :)

And thanks for the Amazon tip!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/25/11 12:47 am
I don't use any stool softeners. Never had, never will. I use magnesium instead. Extra magnesium works like stool softener, on top of that magnesium is what we need anyway. So the body can absorb as much as it needs and any extra ends up in my intestines. I take 800 mg (2 x 400 mg capsules mag oxide) every night before bed. Not only that this works great for BM, but it is also great for bones, good night sleep, lower BP, etc.. magnesium is an essential mineral that most of adults in USA lack...
At least when I take it - I know that not only ends up in the toilet - but that my body can use as needed. I also take calcium with magnesium during the day.  During the day I take an additional 500- 1000 mg magnesium (from calcium, multi, etc.)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Angela *.
on 10/25/11 3:41 am - UT
 The best place to buy generic Colace (plain stool softener) is Costco or Sam's club!! TWO big bottles for less than 6 bucks!!  Just bought some yesterday!
   *******Angela******  5'10"tall  36yrs old   SW 268 CW 180 GW 168

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 277 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 260 views
Ajjj! It?s Monday!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 81 views