Vitamin D deficient

happyhealing
on 10/20/11 9:48 am
What, besides milk has vitamin D?  I'm not always in the sun, but hello I live in California and so it's not sun I'm lacking.  My # was 23.9
Andrea U.
on 10/20/11 10:03 am - Wilson, NC
You can't get enough D from food - you MUST take D3 supplements. That's the way the surgery works.

When mine was that low, I did Vitalady's D3-50 for 30 days and retested. But that's just me.

poet_kelly
on 10/20/11 10:08 am - OH
You will not get nearly enough vitamin D from food after RNY.

Research shows that if your level is below 80, you are at increased risk for osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer and other things you don't want.

When my D level was 25, I took 50,000 IU dry D3 daily for several months until my level improved.  Now I take 50,000 IU three to four times a week.  I don't think I know any RNY folks that have maintained good levels on less than 10,000 IU dry D3 a day, and many need a lot more than that.

You can get the 50,000 IU D3 from vitalady.com.  Don't bother with prescription vitamin D, because it's D2 in oil and you'll absorb very little of that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happyhealing
on 10/21/11 3:17 am
What do you mean by dry?  Is this opposed to any liquid form of VD or gel caps?  I'm confused a little.  Thanks
poet_kelly
on 10/21/11 3:23 am - OH
That's a good question.  "Dry" just means not in oil.  So it means NOT the softgel things that look like little footballs and have oily gel-like stuff in them.  Like the prescription vitamin D.  It means a dry tablet or a capsule with dry powdery stuff inside OR a liquid D3 supplement that does not contain oil.  Read the ingredients.

The reason we want dry D3 after RNY is because we don't absorb fats well anymore and when the D3 is in oil, that means it's in fat.  Many D3 supplements are in oil because D3 is a fat soluble vitamin, so people with "normal" digestive systems actually absorb it better in oil.  We just don't because of our surgery.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sthepworth
on 10/20/11 11:16 am
Wow! I just got mine back and it was 11.1 !!! They gave me a rx for it (which was great since I don't have to pay for it!!). So, I guess I should just get it through vitalady? This rx said to take 1 every WEEK for 12 weeks.
Together In Faith            
Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 11:43 am - Mira Loma, CA
Like my post said below, RX D sucks.  Your D levels will likely only get to a 25 or so on that script. Save the trip to the pharmacy. Buy the 50 K dry D3. I get mine from Vitalady. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 10/20/11 11:44 am - OH
The RX is not great.  It's D2, and it takes a whole lot of D2 for your body to make a little D3, and it's in oil and you don't absorb fats well now.  It's nice that you didn't have to pay for it since it won't be doing you any good.  But if you want your level to go up, you need dry D3.

50,000 IU once a week will not help much, either.  It's just not enough.  It would take 50,000 IU D3 a day for more than a month to get your level up to at least 80.

Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 11:41 am - Mira Loma, CA
Don't kid yourself. Sunlight will not do very much, except cause sunburn and skin cancer over the years.  YOU NEED a dry D3. I've been through this for years. Script D will NOT help you. I took the script D, one 50K IU per week for 24 weeks. 3 sets of labs, and my D rose from an 8 to a 14.  Nuf said?  50K IU dry D3 dosed at 4 per week will likely elevate your D levels to above 60, possibly more. I took 4 of these dry D3 per week for over 2 years, and my D levels rose from a 33 (pre dry D3 50K) to a 65. Target levels are 80-90 for D labs.  Take the dry D3, take the dry D3, take...  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

grmadeb01
on 10/20/11 1:11 pm - FL
do you guys have some typos on the amounts you are taking? i just got some D3 from vitalady, they are the 5,000 IU, and you gusy are saying i need to take 10 of these a day? i just wanted to double check to make sure there werent any typos on here...my vitamin d was 25 on my first set of labs....i did get 3 bottles from vitalady...so let me know how many i have to take...i just got them the other day and have only gotten one in a day...for the last 2-3 days since they came
thanks guys for the help....
Most Active
Recent Topics