6 days post op and boyyy is this fun NOT!!!

andrea S.
on 10/16/11 2:33 am - PA
First couple days were bumpy.. I got sick from the anesthesia and dry heaved for a whole night.. so I felt like someone was ripping out my insides lol I think that made my pain a little more than what it would have been.  I still managed to stop the paid meds almost completely since day 4.  I have pushed myself too far a few times and felt it later!! I have to be more careful to not do too much.

I am so sick and tired of these damn liquids!!! It seems like so many people are able to start better food the first week so I am a little jealous!! I will listen to the doctor though.

I lost 9 pounds since surgery but I have been running a low grade fever the last 2 days.. anyone else  have that issue??

Thursday (20th) is my follow up and hopefully I will be cleared to drive.  I don't like having to depend on people for that!!

Overall I am impressed with how this surgery has progressed with technology how it is.  I just need to do a better job of knowing when to take it easy!!!

Adrienne G.
on 10/16/11 3:13 am - Germantown, MD
Hi Andrea,

Just wanted to say hang in there and take it 1 day at a time   I am 10 days post op and totally hear you on the driving -- my post op is tomorrow and I plan on driving home!!!!  I think you will feel a little better once you can add some pureed food.  I think the fever is worth a call to your doctor - that's what they are there for and better safe than sorry.

Adrienne
Starting weight (12/10) - 346; Surgery day weight (10/11) - 282.4

BugdocMom
on 10/16/11 4:54 am - CA
Andrea,

It's not called hell month for nothing. It's a tough experience, but will get better. You will include heartier foods soon, but IMO, it's better to wait and let your body heal.

However, DON'T wait until your appointment to tell the doc about your fever. Call now! They will decide whether it's important enough to have you come in or not. But I know my doc was EXTREMELY concerned about fevers in the first couple of weeks. Had us take our temperature every couple of hours and call immediately if a fever persisted.

April A.
on 10/16/11 5:48 am - SC
Hey girl! I had my surgery one day after you and I am totally feeling your pain! My first post op is Tuesday. I've done well with clear liquids until today. I don't know what my problem is. But I'm pooping a lot more today(I've been going about once a day, today it's been 4 so far) and my tummy just seems unsettled for the first time since surgery day. I totally understand why they call it Hell month, because just this week has been pure hell for me!

tulips52
on 10/16/11 9:01 am
 I agree with the other poster about advancing the diet. I am on liquids for 2 wks. We have to have time to heal. 
Regarding the fever..did you not get post op instructions? I have to record my temperature and pulse rate 2 x daily. My instructions say that the Dr wants to be contacted immediately if I run a temp of 101 or a pulse rate of 100+. 
I would contact the Dr and ask. 

I hear ya on the over doing it. My body lets me know when I've done that too.

I am surprised by the non driving. My instructions are I can drive after one week as long as I am not taking any pain meds. Heck, I'm returning to work mid week and will definitely be driving myself!

RainDiva
on 10/16/11 9:51 am
I am on clear liquids for two weeks two. I cant stand to drink anymore liquids and chewable multi-vits make me when to throw up. I had to take gas x and colace for bloat and to move my bowels it was 5 days and nothing. I did start some condense soup without the chucks, according to my surgeon that is ok. But they did say no driving its illegal if you are taking pain meds but no clearance needed. I did have a sf hard candy at the mall today because of the ketones they are horrible, breath is really really bad and we had to talk to a sales guy I didnt want him to run away. but other then that I feel better. My body now tells me ok you walked enough time to relax a minute. but I am with you about the liquid. My head hunger is/was so bad that I started to regret having this surgery which my friends that have had wls said is so normal.

April A.
on 10/16/11 10:36 am - SC
OMG! I was thinking the exact same thing today about hte regret! Glad I'm not the only one!

tulips52
on 10/16/11 12:23 pm
 LOL @ chewable vitamins. I feel the same way! Heck, I haven't come across any protein drink that I can drink more than once yet. I keep searching. lol It all tastes like medicine! 

andrea S.
on 10/19/11 6:34 am - PA
I was curious about the bad breath thing too... I kept brushing my teeth thinking wth!!! I have been tolerant of things for the most part uptil now.  I started protein shakes this week and they seem to make me sick and feel awful. 

My post op is tomorrow and I will get clearance to drive and be told to start the vitamins and gall bladder meds.  I hope I can start my birth control too because I don't want to get cysts. 

I haven't had any regrets so far but the first night in the hospital when I was dry heaving I wasn't sure I would live through it lol

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views