TOO THIN?

poet_kelly
on 10/10/11 3:07 am - OH
You can lose until 18 months or more, if you continue to take in fewer calories than you burn.  If you do not want to continue losing weight, you will need to increase your calories so that you take in as many as you burn.

As far as going against your surgeon's wishes, does he wish you to continue losing weight?  If he does, but you do not wish to continue losing weight, then yeah, you can go against his wishes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

scrappygirl8
on 10/10/11 3:10 am
I havent spoken to my surgeon because he moved to Georgia (I live in Minnesota) I am waiting for his replacement. I see my nutritionist in about 3.5 weeks. I don't know if she is concerned. I lost weight real fast at the beginning because I developed C. Diff (infection in my colon) and got so sick I couldn't keep down water. I was in and out of the hospital for 3 weeks, before they found out what I had. My surgeon said that is why I lost so fast. He said a "lightweight" doesnt normally lose so fast. That is why he added a snack to my diet. His normal policy was 3 meals no snacking. I am just hoping it slows down some or stops soon. I don't really want to have to worry about being too thin and peoples comments make me wonder if I am seeing myself clearly ( because they think I am already thin), or if I will always see the fat girl in the mirror.
poet_kelly
on 10/10/11 3:15 am - OH
I'm almost three years out and I would still be losing weight if I only ate three meals a day.  I could never get enough protein or calories in three meals.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hedrider
on 10/10/11 3:18 am - Midlothian, TX
Did you ask him why those were his wishes?  Are they just general rules for everyone?  It's much harder to gain weight than to slow it or stop it. at this point in the journey.

I would call him and ask him exaclty why he feels this way and just how much he wants you to keep losing.

I would in no way tell someone to go against their surgeon's wishes for anything health related, but if you feel you are good where you are and it's not detrimental to you in anyway to do so, then by all means I think you are grown enough to decide if you want to eat more calories.  :)

According to the BMI calculator someone who is 5'5" is not considered underweight until they hit 111.  However, you know your body and can tell where you want or need to be.  I take BMI with a grain of salt.  There's no way I would be happy with my body at 111 and I'm a little under 5'6".

As far as friends and family, just take that with a grain of salt as well.  Noone would ever tell my healthy athletic daughter that at 5'4" and 115 pounds that she is too thin.  But I'm just under 140 and I'm WAAAYYY too thin in their eyes.  Of course, they saw me at almost 300 pounds so to them 139 just might look like too thin in comparison.

You know your body, you've focused on it for years.  You can decided where you want it to be, you just have to put it in motion.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

scrappygirl8
on 10/10/11 3:41 am
I think 3 meals a day and no snacking were just his general list of rules for everyone. My neighbor had the same surgeon (like I said he is gone to Georgia now) but she was allowed 2 snacks a day. He made that alteration for her, because she was also getting too thin and losing after year 6. , so I think he will adjust the set rules if need be. He is just no longer around to ask advice to and they are still working on his replacement.

I am thinking that when I get to where I want to be ( in 7 lbs), and see if I feel thin enough, then I will work on maintaining, and see what happends. I don't FEEL too thin yet. I should have seen my nutritionist by then and maybe she will have some advice or wisdom. If not I will try upping my intake as Kelly suggested in hopes to maintain.
scrappygirl8
on 10/10/11 3:20 am
I honestly should pay better attention to how many calories I am consuming (Its probably not enough) I live primarily off Beef Jerky, cheese, chicken, and vegetables and I only drink water. Maybe I am not getting enough calories. I don't eat much fruits starchy foods or any sort of carbs. I guess once a diabetic always a diabetic, my mind has been trained. I bet I am only getting like 700- 800 calories a day. I don't know if that is normal at this far out.
Pholaris
on 10/10/11 6:10 am
Did the nutritionist move as well? If not, I would make an appointment and see about how many calories you should be consuming. I track my calorie intake etc at Sparkpeople.com which is free and it allows you to track your protein amound other nutrients. I use the site to make sure I get in all my protein, all my supplements and all my water as well as to track my excersize.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Pholaris
on 10/10/11 6:13 am
Also, wanted to add that I am 5'5, weight 139 lbs as of this am, and that I don't feel like I am too thin. My weight loss slowed down considerably after month 11, though I got sick in August and had another big loss, but back to maybe a lb a month on average since.

I am 14 1/2 months out and I eat between 1100 to 1500 calories, some days less, some days more. I average about 80 grams of protein a day.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Katari
on 10/10/11 6:18 am - OR
Yes, it is possible to lose to much weight, however, not many people do. I lost up to about 9 months when I put myself on maintenance instead of losing. I lost about 5 pounds total or so in the last 3 months of my first year and have been holding steady since then. If you are wanting to start maintaining instead of losing you can start working on it now. You can add in a little more carbs, a few more calories. Throw in a "snack" to help get some more food in if you have to. Jus****ch adding in the bad stuff, you don't want to start gaining, just learn to maintain. If you haven't been charting do it for a week or two and see where you are. are you getting in over 80g of protein a day? can you up your calories to about 1000?
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views