Need an iron boost!

50andFabulous
on 9/25/11 5:42 am - TX
I have been feeling really run down and kind of lethargic the whole weekend.  I have a feeling I may be anemic or my iron levels are low.  I admit i haven't taken my multivitamins in a couple of days - the taste of the chewables is disgusting.  Anyone have any ideas of what i can do to get my iron levels back up or to get some more energy.  I have been taking bilingual B-12 because i was told that would help with my energy levels.  But that doesn't seem to have any effect on my energy levels.  Can anyone give me some advice.  I already feel like calling in to work tomorrow because i feel like I just don't have the energy to go in.          HELP!!

poet_kelly
on 9/25/11 5:49 am - OH
The ASMBS says menstruating women need 54-63 mg iron a day and everyone else needs 36 mg.  If you are getting less iron than that, start taking some.  Take it with vitamin C, 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron, to help with absorption.  Make sure you take it at least two hours away from your calcium.

B12 will help with your energy levels if your B12 level is low, because fatigue is a symptom of B12 deficiency.  If your B12 level is good, though, taking B12 won't make a noticable change to your energy level.  Regardless, you should be taking B12, eveyone should after RNY.

Other vitamin deficiencies can also ccause fatigue.  You can call your doc and ask for some labs to be ordered.  Check your iron, ferritin, B12 and vitamin D levels.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

50andFabulous
on 9/25/11 5:58 am - TX
Thank you Kelly, I was really hoping that you would see this and give me some advice.  Is there anything that i can do in the mean time to boost the iron - like eat a banana or something.  I will call my doc in the morning and request some labs.  I had an appointment last week and he did mention that my blood platelets were coming back up after all the blood that i lost during the surgery, but he didn't specifically mention anything about iron.  I just hope i haven't caused too much damage by not take the multivitamin for a few days.  I've gotta find something other than the chewables - can't stand them - any suggestions.  (Can't do horse pills either!! )   

poet_kelly
on 9/25/11 6:01 am - OH
Not taking them for a few days won't hurt anything.  If you don't like the chewables, go buy some that you swallow.  And buy some iron at the same time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

waitingtoexhale69
on 9/26/11 3:58 am - IL
sOMEONE NEEDS TO INVENT A VITAMIN PATCH, WITH ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD WLS AND MORE PEOPLE THAT WILL HAVE THESE SAME ISSUES IN THE FUTURE.

Most Active
Recent Topics