Going to Over eaters Anonymous meeting in the morning.

ktharp89
on 9/24/11 9:08 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 I am kind of nervous but I met someone the other day who attends meetings and I told her abut how I had surgery and I am still having so much trouble with food addiction. She told me all about meetings and she said they helped her a lot so I thought why not try it out? I'm not sure how I feel about different aspects of it but hopefully it will help me feel like I have more control over what I eat. Has anyone been to these meetings before?
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Becky D.
on 9/24/11 9:33 am - CA
I have never gone to one but I have many friends & family that have benefitted from 12 step programs.
This may help you understand yourself better.
TrueNorthFriend
on 9/24/11 9:41 am - Canada
 I started attending weekly about 6 mos before my surgery.  I'm almost 2 years out.  It seems to help me.  It is the one place I go every week where people speak about their experience, strength and hope.  Meetings are different - they share the same elements - but still can be quite different - so if you go to one and it doesn't work out, try another before giving up.  Most people can't understand that it is not a "diet."  People in OA understand that diets don't work.  We always say that surgery doesn't do anything about the mental/emotional side of things.  That is very true.  OA does. 
poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 9:47 am - OH
I have not been to OA but I've been to AA a couple times with a friend and I used to attend Al-Anon meetings once a week for quite a while.

I think it's a good idea to at least go to a few and see if you think it will help.  I think you need to try more than one time, though, to really get a feel for it.  People will be really nice and accepting, at least they usually are at 12 step  meetings.  You don't have to say  much if you don't want to, you can just listen.  But when you're ready to talk they will listen to you.

Let us know how it goes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Barbara C.
on 9/24/11 9:48 am - Raleigh, NC

Dear K

While I have never attended OA meetings, I have been to other 12 step meetings in support of a dear friend and see a number of coralations. I think it would definitely be worth a try. I think that we all need to find a way to identify and address our issues surrounding emotional eating and if this is the place where you can find the tools you need to address these issues, go for it!

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

nfarris79
on 9/24/11 10:14 am - Germantown, MD
 Never been but just wanted to say I'm proud of you for taking this step!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

T. Deeds
on 9/24/11 11:03 am
I went to an OA meeting a month or two after my bypass and found it to be a little too cult-like for me.  However, it might be something that works for you, so I encourage you to try it out.  If it doesn't work, maybe you can consider working one on one with a therapist that specializes in eating disorders and/or addictions.

AnneGG
on 9/24/11 2:51 pm
I'm no longer attending meetings, but I found OA very helpful. I love the 12 step philosophy, and use it with living my personal life.

I hear they have meetings online, which I have yet to check out.

I echo the value of good therapy, and find the 12 step philosophy compatible.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Stephanie M.
on 9/25/11 1:00 am - Los Angeles, CA
 ktharp,
I have never been to one either, but I am going to my first one today. Good luck to you, and I hope that it helps us both on this journey!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.