Questions on Easy Chairs and Surgery

GreyEagle
on 9/23/11 9:03 am - WA
Hi everyone! :)

I noticed a few messages the other day where some of you post-op found it was only comfortable to sleep sitting up in an easy chair. I'm curious about that. Does that occur for most everyone who has had gastric bypass? I have a wedge pillow I bought several years ago when I had a cervical laminectomy. I do not have an easy chair.

Also, my surgery is scheduled for this coming Thursday, Sept 29th. However, yesterday I came down with a urinary tract infection. I get these maybe once every year or year and a half. I am type 2 diabetic. I called my surgeons office and left a message requesting we reschedule my surgery. Today I called again and his receptionist answered. She said he believes we should have the surgery next week, that there is no need to reschedule.

I told her I am in enough burning pain that I do not want to deal with a catheter in the hospital while I have this infection. I am waiting now for him to call back. He was in surgery an hour or so ago and she said he'd call me back when he gets out. I'll let you all know the result. I just thought it odd he'd want to continue with surgery.
Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
AnneGG
on 9/23/11 9:10 am
I used a wedge pillow early post-op, and it was fine. I used it about 4 nights if I remember right.

Dunno about the UTI- have to see what your doc says.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Kim H.
on 9/23/11 9:50 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
There's really no reason to reschedule for a UTI. Are you on antibiotics for it now? It only takes a couple of days to kill off the bacteria and so you'll be fine by your surgery date. Luckily, they will give you IV fluids and antibiotics for your surgery and that will also make sure your infection is long gone. The catheter typically only stays in overnight and to be honest, I didn't even notice it since I had so much else going on physically. As for the easy chair I was worried about that, too. But I don't have one and wasn't going to buy one. I actually felt a little better on an incline but I would take my pain and gas meds before bed and I slept pretty well. It wasn't easy to get up and down but it was all OK. You'll be surprised how fast the time passes and you'll be giving other people advice! Good luck and take care.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
GreyEagle
on 9/23/11 4:39 pm - WA
I am on antibiotics. The last time I had a UTI infection the doctor in Urgent Care gave me one antibiotic. When I saw my primary care doctor the following week she gave me a much more powerful antibiotic. She had to refill it once. It took about 20 days for my infection to clear up.

I know they are going to be extra careful pre-op making sure I"m ready. I'll trust my surgeon's judgment. I have diabetes and every time I get an infection (leg or UTI) it takes longer than normal to clear up.

Thanks for your input!
Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
Dan OBrien
on 9/23/11 11:38 am, edited 9/23/11 11:38 am - FL
I do not advocate that you go out and buy a recliner, but I tried my bed with a wedge pillow and could not breathe or bear the pain.  Tried extra pillows and still no relief.  Had to use the recliner, as much as I hated being a loner in the living room.

I have to tell you that I also had fluid under my left lung which didn't help matters.  It was a few weeks before I could lay flat.

Different people have different issues and needs.

Good luck with your UTI and surgery!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

GreyEagle
on 9/23/11 4:37 pm - WA
Thanks much, Dan! Yep, our experiences will vary. I am going to a once a month support group at the hospital tomorrow. I'm going to trust my surgeon's judgment and go ahead with my surgery next Thurs. as planned.

Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
qnmimi
on 9/23/11 1:52 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Get on antibiotics if you have a UTI, you don't want the stress of the surgery to worsen an infection you already have. Most laparoscopic RNY surgery pt's don't have a urinary catheter either during, or after surgery unless you run into major complications, or you can't pee on your own. Good luck on your surgery though!!

BugdocMom
on 9/23/11 2:59 pm - CA
I woke up in the hospital bed FLAT on my back. I continued to sleep and rest flat and only inclined my bed to help me get out of it. I think that helped me not need to rest at home sitting up. If I wanted to sit up, I put a few pillows behind my back and head. If I wanted to lay down, it didn't pull on my incisions at all. Now lying on my side was a different story...
dasie
on 9/23/11 9:38 pm
I have a recliner/easy chair but did not use it.  I took three pillows and propped myself up similar to the angleset for  my hospital bed.  I slept well.  I never, ever, ever, sleep on my back.  The only difficulty I had post op was trying to roll onto my side while asleep.  I could not sleep on myside for a while post op.  It was painful because my stomach plopped over and pulled at the incision sites.  3 pillows worked well, and I wore the compression garmet much longer than necessary because it held my stomach up/in.  When I went for my 1 week post op, my surgeon said, "You can take that off."  I told him I liked the support.  It really helped at night.

MedPig
on 9/24/11 8:44 am
The catheter isn't that bad.  I was a paramedic for 20 years, I always said I NEVER wanted a catheter, but woke up after my RNY with one in.  Eh, not that bad.  Save you having to wobble to the bathroom, and those stupid urinals are about impossible to use laying down, without dousing yourself. 

Taking it out feels weird.  But, while it's in, they can always whack you with some IV antibiotics, to try to fight off the infection, too. 

If you are a diabetic, the faster you get the surgery, the better.  Once you get the surgery, you will effectively no longer BE a diabetic.  Well, you will, but it won't be possible for you to absorb the sugar, if I understand correctly.  So, it's better for you to get it done, asap.  

God luck with it! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views